Rehearsal Process

Meet the Company!

Rehearsals for Henry V are held in the evenings Monday-Friday, to ensure the actors know their characters and lines inside and out! We always begin sessions with warmups and fun games, not only as ice-breakers to get to know each other, but to also keep things lively and entertaining. Here are some pictures of what we have been working on so far:

To see more pictures and videos, as well as regular updates of our rehearsal process, follow our Instagram @lu_henryv_performance or follow this link

These rehearsals are exploring many aspects of Henry V, including music, puppets, lighting and shadows, and levels of stage performance. All of these add to the complexities of a Shakespearean play, allowing our performance to also stage both reflections of Henry himself; as a Machiavellian war criminal or Christian king.

Members of the Company 

As mentioned, these rehearsals are not just about learning lines, but also getting to know each person in our performance. Interviews have begun, which have allowed us to gain a better insight into people’s thoughts and feelings about the rehearsal process, their own characters, and any favourite moments they have had so far.

Meet Daniel!

Characters: Nym and Bates

How have you found rehearsals so far?

“I’ve enjoyed playing all the games, getting to know everyone, figuring out my character…singing together is quite fun, it gets us all a bit more comfortable around each other”

Meet Lydia!

Characters: Catherine and The Hostess

What do you like and dislike about your character? 

“I like that Catherine tries to learn English because they are completely invading and killing everyone in their country and she wants to learn to speak her mind. I dislike that she doesn’t use that and just accepts her marriage to Henry”

Meet Megan!

Character: Montjoy

“I think he has one of the best lines in the play, I like saying ‘This day is yours’. I dislike the fact that he doesn’t speak more than he does, I think he is quite important because he gives that final message to Henry”

Meet Ben!

Characters: Bardolph and Sir Thomas Erpingham

What’s your favourite rehearsal technique or game?

“We recently did an activity that I really did enjoy, where we had to choose different moments set as our various characters and share with the group. This has made me appreciate other characters and how they might respond to me and how I might respond to them”

Meet Jonty!

Characters: Williams and Salisbury

How have you found rehearsals so far? 

“I don’t usually do much in terms of drama, I usually look more at English but I’ve enjoyed working with others and getting to know everyone”

Meet Georgina!

Characters: The French King, The French Ambassador and a French Soldier

What’s something you like about your character?

“My favourite thing about the French King is his commanding presence and his unwavering support for his country, and I love doing a little bit of French”

Meet Alana!

Character: The Boy

“I like the torpedo game, when we learn other character’s names, getting a sense of who you’re performing with”