Close

January 15, 2018

Benjamin Cuddihee (Kent County Council)

Name: Benjamin Cuddihee

Subject: BSc Geography

Year Graduated: 2015

College: Furness

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am currently working at Kent County Council on their highways, transportation and waste scheme, based within their development planning team. Before this, I was studying at Cardiff University, undertaking a MSc in sustainability, planning and environmental policy.

What would you like to do next?

I plan to gather some experience in a local authority setting and then use that experience to move into a private planning consultancy. Additionally, I would like to travel to different parts of the world, if and when the opportunity arises.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

I chose to study at Lancaster because I liked the appeal of a campus university, with everything that I needed in one place. The university also pushed for Channel Island students to choose to study there, so I spent a few days at the university before applying and it seemed like the right fit – I guess that the scheme was a success for me.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

I undertook a module in third year that tackled issues surrounding cities and urban settlements, which I found incredibly interesting, as it demonstrated that cities are so much more than just places. The module highlighted that here are hidden connections that allow each individual city to thrive and this is what creates the community; this got me thinking about a career in planning.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

My time at Lancaster taught me the benefit of having balance within your life, you need to be willing to work hard to achieve your aims, but you also need to find time to relax and do activities that you enjoy. The experience of having to work towards multiple tight deadlines, and being able to quickly pick out relevant information has also been beneficial for my current planning role.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

I particularly enjoyed the close knit community spirit you felt with those in your fellow college, especially being from the smaller college of Furness. I also enjoyed participating in college sports and the experience and atmosphere of competing in Patriots. Moving to Lancaster also represents the first time that I had left home, and the experiences and friends gained along the way made the adventure that much sweeter.