Close

December 8, 2020

From LEC to the UK Hydrographic Office

Chris Breeze (MSci Environmental Science, 2020) reflects on his transition from LEC undergraduate student to working at the UKHO:

Joining the UK Hydrographic Office has kickstarted an exciting journey for me in Oceanography and Geoinformatics. As a Junior Geospatial Product Specialist, I have joined the Chart Production Team, with my projects focused around compiling Standard Nautical Charts (SNCs) and thematic charts including routeing and security charts. The UKHO plays an essential role by providing hydrographic, oceanographic and meteorological data to a range of mariners. Admiralty products are an essential tool for ensuring the Safety of Lives at Sea (SOLAS). A high percentage of mariners globally rely on at least one UKHO product, from nautical charts to navigational guides to almanacs. Projects range across marine geospatial data, navigation, scientific research and law of the sea. At the UKHO, I’ve found a fulfilling purpose in the blue economy.

Training showed me the breadth and depth of essential information included in maritime charts. Effective depth sounding selection is critical for ensuring ships can navigate safely through waters and avoid shoals. Navigation relies on the correct usage of symbology. Depth soundings, seabed nature, wrecks, buoys, and lights, along with offshore infrastructure, restricted areas and transit routes are just some of the features required within charts. With endless details to remember, my Admiralty Symbols and Abbreviations Handbook has become essential for adding the correct symbology. Mistakes in charts must be eliminated because of the risk that they would otherwise create, such as a vessel running aground in shoal waters or becoming lost due to missing buoys.

So far, I’ve successfully completed two charts covering the coasts of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina, as well Urgent New Editions (UNEs) for Bilbao Port in Northern Spain. UNE’s are new editions of a chart that are published when there is a significant amount of navigationally significant information. My UNEs have just been published with two more soon. With these projects, I’ve already become familiar with the cartographic standards, information and quality essential for the mariner to navigate.

The UKHO also produces a number of specialist charts known as thematics, which include Mariner’s Routeing Guides, Port Approach Guides and Security Charts. I’ve just begun work my first thematic, a routeing chart. This involves adding various data such as storm tracks, temperatures, pressure values, ocean currents, wind roses and ice extents for the Southern Atlantic Ocean. This is used for effective route planning throughout the year, accounting for changes in oceanic and atmospheric conditions. The extensive comprehension of environmental science gained from LEC has certainly helped understand the data I’m submerged in.

I’m very excited to take everything I’ve learned and see what course is charted in my career with the UK Hydrographic Office. But right now, it’s back to compiling another thematic chart. To learn more about the UK Hydrographic Office, it’s products, services, and potential careers, visit https://www.admiralty.co.uk/.