Close

March 3, 2017

Ally Gormally (Lecturer)

Ally Gormally

Name: Alexandra (Ally) Gormally

Subject: MSc Environmental Science; PhD Geography

Year Graduated: 2008; 2013

College: Graduate College

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I am now a lecturer in Geography and I‘m currently sat in my office in LEC!

What would you like to do next?
I am very happy in my role here. My plan is to carry on with my research, collaborate with even more interesting people and to continue to meet and teach our fantastic students.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
I chose to come to Lancaster to do postgraduate study after a few years working. I knew I wanted to get back into study and research, particularly around the environment, but wasn’t sure exactly which direction I wanted to go in. The versatility of the degree programme meant I had flexibility to adapt to my interests – and I loved it. Also, given my PhD was interdisciplinary, LEC and all its diversity was an ideal department for me to complete this in.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
Doing my PhD is definitely one of the best things that I have done. That’s for many reasons but largely from the collegiality, support and inspiration I found from my peers (quite a few of whom are also alumni on this page – Emily Cooper and Amy Fowler!) and also of course my supervisors.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
I think it prepared me well! My time at Lancaster has helped me develop and advance from a student, researcher and now an academic.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
There are many many things I enjoy about Lancaster, it’s such a friendly city with enough going on to keep you occupied and a train ride away from some of the bigger cities. However, I think one of the highlights for me is being so close to the countryside and the Sea – Morecambe Bay at sunset is beautiful.

What advice would you give to current students?
Make the most of it – time goes really quickly! And stay open to opportunities, you never know where they might lead…