Close

October 29, 2020

Interning with Crowberry Consulting: a local environmental and sustainability consultancy

Lauren Hart (BA Geography and MSc Environmental Management Graduate) has recently completed her second three-month paid internship with local environmental and sustainability consultancy firm Crowberry Consulting. The internship was through the Lancaster University Science and Technology Internship Scheme which offers paid internships exclusively for current students and recent graduates of the Faculty of Science and Technology, which LEC sits within. Crowberry Consulting are an Environment, Ethics and Corporate Responsibility Management Consultancy Firm who specialise in IS0140001 (Environmental Management System), ISO50001 (Energy Management System), ISO20121 (Sustainable Events Management Standard) and Ethical Auditing.

I first worked for Crowberry Consulting in the summer between finishing my undergraduate degree and starting my masters. During this summer, I worked on many projects including working on the Chamber (of commerce) Low Carbon Project assisting small businesses in Lancashire reduce their environmental footprint. This included conducting environmental assessments, writing bespoke reports and presenting back to the clients’ measures they could take to reduce their carbon footprint. I also assisted the company to create ISO 14001 (Environmental management) and ISO 50001 (Energy management) manuals which will be used to support businesses continually improve their environmental and energy performance. Through this internship, I gained valuable experience of working in a consultancy firm and gained hands-on experience helping clients reduce their environmental footprint. Not only did this internship offer a fantastic opportunity to apply the skills I have learnt from my degree to a real-world setting, but I thoroughly enjoyed working for Crowberry Consultancy and this internship also confirmed that I wanted to pursue a career in environmental consultancy after finishing University.

Whilst still finishing my masters, I re-joined Crowberry Consulting during the summer of 2020 and worked on some exciting projects during the Covid-19 pandemic. My main role this summer entailed working on ISOs again but this time helping the next UN Climate Conference (COP26) hopefully achieve certification to ISO20121 for the event in November 2021. Crowberry Consulting are working in partnership with Arup, to advise the UK government on how to create a sustainable event and it was a privilege to be able to work on the initial stages of this amazing event and be actively involved in the project, attending meetings virtually and assisting in the creation of ISO manuals.

Not only did I get to work on some amazing projects, but I also undertook some training including completing a project management course which will be helpful in future endeavours. I thoroughly enjoyed working for such a wonderful company over the last few summers and I would strongly recommend an internship working at Crowberry Consulting. I believe through this role I have gained valuable hands-on experience working on some amazing projects whilst having a positive impact on businesses to reduce their environmental footprint and become more sustainable.