Close

February 22, 2018

David McGovern (Lecturer)

Name: David McGovern

Subject: BSc Environmental Science; PhD Geography

Year Graduated: 2006; 2011

College: Pendle; Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am a lecturer in water engineering and fluid mechanics at London South Bank University. After I finished my PhD I held Post-doctoral positions at the National University of Singapore and the University College London (3 years in each).

What would you like to do next?

Having finally secured a permanent post, I am still not sure how long I will spend in Academia, but whatever I do next, I feel well equipped to achieve it.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

In those days, Lancaster was the only university that offered me a place (I had poor A-level results). I am extremely grateful of their faith in me and the chance they gave me to prove myself.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

I loved geology, particularly the planetary geology module. As well as the field and lab courses – the Lake District is quite the geographer’s playground!

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

Lancaster gave me a chance to prove myself academically, which I did not get at school. This has in turn added to my self-esteem, confidence and ambition. Not just in terms of career, but in life generally.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

I played for the squash team and also in a rock band (if you are in Pendle you may still see the posters in the hall of fame). Both sport and music became and established themselves as big parts in my life while at Lancaster. In fact, both were important factors in me staying on to do a PhD (because there is more to life than just work).