Close

February 16, 2018

Max Brambani (JBA Consulting)

Name: Max Brambani

Subject: BSc Geography; PgCert Flood and Coastal Risk Management

Year Graduated: 2014; 2017

College: Pendle; Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I now live in Brighton and work for JBA Consulting in Haywards Heath. My primary role in the team that I work within is hydraulic modelling and various tasks associated with this. More recently, I have also had the opportunity to work on a Flood Resilience project (more specifically, Property Level Protection).

What would you like to do next?

My long-term aim is to obtain chartership with CIWEM. I plan to do this through continuing to develop my understanding of hydraulics, hydrology and flood risk management.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

There were numerous reasons for deciding to join Lancaster. Firstly, the university has always consistently ranked highly in the university tables for Geography. Following attending an open day I also gained a great first impression of the university and felt it had a friendly and welcoming atmosphere to it.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

Throughout my degree, I was fortunate enough to go on two field trips to Iceland and Cantabria (Spain) respectively. Both of which were fantastic and insightful experiences and from both I have taken memories that I will not forget!

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

In a general sense, my time at university built my confidence in my communication and report writing skills. More technically, I undertook a couple of GIS modules when completing my Geography degree. I now apply skills learnt from these on a daily basis. The PgCert in Flood and Coastal Risk Management provided a fantastic opportunity to develop skills, taught by experts in my field of work on the likes of river hydraulics. The course gave the opportunity for a hands-on approach to learn how to use specialist software, which I use daily at work. It was also great to complete the course alongside fellow working professionals within this field, allowing a fantastic opportunity for networking.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

Lancaster provided me which numerous enjoyable academic opportunities during both courses that I undertook, such as the fieldwork previously mentioned. However, I also made many great friendships during my time at university, which I consider equally as valuable.