Close

February 5, 2018

Cara Kennelly (Acclaro Advisory)

Name: Cara Kennelly

Subject: BSc Geography; MSc Environmental Science

Year Graduated: 2015; 2017

College: Pendle

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am currently a Sustainability Analyst at Acclaro Advisory, a small sustainability consultancy in the south of England. I have a fast-paced and varied job working with international clients and large data sets to help improve the environmental, social and governance sustainability of all our clients.

What would you like to do next?

I want to expand our international client base to include companies in southern African countries, particularly South Africa, and am currently networking and researching to this end.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

The location was key – easy access to London and Manchester, as well as the Lakes and Highlands, it was great for weekend trips! I stayed on for postgraduate study because the staff were beyond amazing and the collegiate life was like having a second family.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

The flexibility of my courses was hands-down the best bit about my degrees. The faculties and university really wanted you to study what you were passionate about and designing your own course was basically the norm.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

Lancaster University gave me the internship that got me to my current job directly, but they also gave me confidence in my expertise with their academics openness to discussion and debate, which has been key in my client-facing role.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

Attending Lancaster University is like having three extra families – your college, your department and your societies. Having friendly faces everywhere is wonderful, and means there is always some event or trip planned so you’re never short of something to do!