Close

March 8, 2017

Rebecca Cunning (JXB)

Rebecca Cunning

Name: Rebecca Cunning

Subject: BSc Geography; PhD Geography

Year Graduated: 2008; 2012

College: Pendle; Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?
After finishing my PhD I briefly worked at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), before moving to Cheshire to work for Cheshire West and Chester council. I now work as an Editorial Assistant for the Journal of Experimental Botany (JXB), a leading plant science journal based at Lancaster University. My role involves assisting academics submitting research papers, supporting the publication of special issues on key plant science topics, and developing data management policies for the journal.

What would you like to do next?
Continue to develop in my role at JXB! I’m currently very happy in my job and I’m excited to be involved in the continued success of the journal.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
The courses offered at Lancaster really appealed to me, and the quality of teaching and research undertaken by staff in what is now Lancaster Environment Centre really stood out when I was researching universities. After my degree I was given the opportunity to apply for a PhD and I was happy and excited to be able to keep studying at Lancaster.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
Studying geography meant I was able to take part in a number of fieldtrips, both locally and abroad. As well as being a lot of fun, these trips were always really informative and helped develop skills that were so valuable for both my degree and PhD. I particularly enjoyed the ‘Investigating Mediterranean Environments’ field course in the Sierra Nevada, Spain.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
Being part of a leading academic community really helped to prepare me for my current role. In my job, having a good understanding of academia is really important and a science background helps when meeting academics from all around the world. As well as the specific skills gained during my studies, I definitely gained confidence during my time at Lancaster, and that is something that has helped me in work and life.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
I really love the campus at Lancaster and this was one of my favorite things about studying at Lancaster. It feels like such a dynamic and diverse place be and there is a great sense of community.