Close

February 15, 2017

Leyla Page (MDS Ltd)

Lancaster Environment Centre Graduate Leyla Page

Name: Leyla Roxanne Page

Subject: BA Geography with French (minor): First Class Honours; MSc (by research): Distinction

Year Graduated: 2015; 2016

College: Bowland; Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?
Currently, I’m based in Cambridge working for a crop protection company called Syngenta, as part of the MDS (Management Development Services) grad scheme, which puts trainees through four secondments within the food and fresh produce industry. I’m working in a marketing role on a major new product launch within the cereal fungicides market.

What would you like to do next?
I would like my next secondment to tap into either the health and wellbeing market, or the alternative food production side of food systems.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
Because they were one of the only institutions that were able to offer me the degree I wanted (at the time, joint Geography and French Honours), in addition to having a good academic reputation.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
My third-year modules were excellent, in particular the module of Food and Agriculture in the 21st Century. I also loved the field trip in my third year, to the Brazilian Amazon, which unearthed my ongoing love of research and inspired me to undertake a Masters.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
Provided me with analytical skills and a critical mind which are proving to be highly valuable. Research techniques, in both qualitative and quantitative practices, are also invaluable.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
Kayaking – being part (and President) of the Canoe Club brought me some of my best University experiences and opportunities from a career and personal perspective.