Close

March 7, 2018

Sarah Myers (Peacock and Smith)

Name: Sarah Myers

Subject: BA Human Geography

Year Graduated: 2016

College: Bowland

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am currently working as a graduate town planner for a company called Peacock and Smith. I split my time between Manchester and Leeds. My job involves submitting planning applications, carrying out site appraisals, analysing sites for development and assisting my team with general planning matters.

What would you like to do next?

I would like to continue in this career and gain accreditation as a chartered town planner.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

I chose to study at Lancaster because the Lancaster Environment Centre stood out as an exciting place to study geography. I attended several open days at the University and loved the atmosphere on the campus and what it had to offer.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

My favourite part of my degree was putting into practice what we learnt and experiencing it first hand on field trips.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

My time at Lancaster and my degree in Human Geography gave me a greater understanding of urbanisation and globalisation and how human life is impacted by the way our cities and towns are designed and run. Through teamwork and presentations the University helped me develop my confidence and organisational skills, which are important in my current job.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with a range of different things at Lancaster, I volunteered as a Student Ambassador as well for the calltaking service Nightline. This made my time at University even better as I got the chance to meet and interact with new people on a regular occasion, and it was great to represent the University to future students.