Close

February 19, 2018

Gwyn Davies (Atkins)

Name: Gwyn Davies

Subject: BA Geography

Year Graduated: 2016

College: Pendle

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am currently working for Atkins (in Cardiff), a global engineering and design consultancy, which has recently been acquired by SNC-Lavalin. My role within the company is Transport Planning, which involves a wide variety of work. I have worked on a number of planning applications by providing specialist transport consultancy, as well as designing new junction layouts (of particular note the M4 junction 48), and supporting air quality assessments through calculating traffic on the appropriate road links. During my time at the company, I have also completed a number of Travel Plans, which assist in reducing the traffic impacts of developments with regard to air quality and congestion.

What would you like to do next?

Over the next few years I am hoping to progress my career and project manage some of my own projects.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

I grew up in a small town in north Wales and I therefore did not want to attend a University in a big city. Consequently, I visited Lancaster and found the semi-rural nature of the campus and city a relaxing atmosphere. On top of this, I enjoyed the campus nature of the University where there is a strong sense of community, different to other city-based Universities.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

The most enjoyable part of my degree was learning about the application of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). I enjoyed this part of the course because I felt like I was learning a practical skill, which improved my digital competency in more than one way. It was also rewarding to see a physical output of something that I had worked towards.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

Although I did not cover much of what I’m doing while at University, I feel that I learnt how to effectively structure projects and balance my time effectively during at University. This is important within my industry as I undertake several short-term projects, which have tight deadline simultaneously.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

My favourite part of University was gaining my independence from home and socialising with people from different backgrounds to myself. I also enjoyed playing football for my college C team in a relaxed atmosphere.