Close

May 10, 2016

James Harrison (University Marketing)

James Harrison

Name: James Harrison

Subject: BSc Geography

Year Graduated: 2015

College: Grizedale (Former Vice President)

Where are you now and what are you doing?
After graduating, I worked for New York University in London as their Resident Assistant Supervisor before moving back to Lancaster to take up a temporary position as the Marketing, Employability and Events Coordinator for the faculty Business Partnerships and Enterprise department. I have now started studying for my Masters in Planning at Manchester University.

What would you like to do next?
After I complete my Planning Masters, I would like to start a career in planning consultancy. This field really interests me and I feel completing my Geography degree at Lancaster has given me lots of knowledge and transferable skills for my Masters and future career.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
After taking a year out of education, I was fortunate to apply with my A-level grades already determined. I made sure to thoroughly research all of my possible choices, yet when visiting Lancaster I knew it was the perfect place for me! Not only is the department fantastic, the collegiate system and campus feel give Lancaster a real community feel and make it very easy to become involved with all sorts of activities and not become isolated.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
My favourite part of my degree must be the field trip to Croatia, it was a fantastic opportunity to engage with Geography outside of Lancaster whilst also providing the perfect environment to bond more with my course mates and lecturers.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
I have found moving on from Lancaster to be a much less stressful experience than I had anticipated. Both of the roles I have taken on have required various skill sets and with the skills I learnt at Lancaster I do feel I have been able to adapt to and settle into the roles fairly comfortably.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?
Whilst at Lancaster, I engaged with the collegiate system as both the Vice President of my college but also as the Cross Campus Officer of Events for the whole university, these positions gave me the opportunity to meet a whole host of new people whilst organising events for upwards of 1200 people. Of these, the two highlights must be leading the Grizedale college Extrav ‘Space Rave’ and also Lancaster’s first official trip to York, for our 51st Roses, something which I felt was long overdue!

See James on LinkedIn