Close

May 10, 2016

Adam Bell (Nuclear Industry)

Adam Bell

Name: Adam Bell

Subject: BSc Environmental Science/MSc Energy and the Environment

Year Graduated: 2015

College: Furness/Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I am approximately six months into a Graduate Scheme within the nuclear industry as an Environmental Compliance Advisor, where my main role is to provide support to a team of Environmental Specialists. The scheme offers secondment opportunities to different sectors of the company, and I plan to complete three months within Waste Management Services this summer.

What would you like to do next?
I would like to complete the Graduate Scheme and become a Chartered Environmentalist through IEMA. Beyond this, I would like to remain with my current employer, seeking management roles as I develop the necessary experience.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
It is local to my home town of Barrow-in-Furness, and performs consistently well in league tables, both overall, and in my discipline of Environmental Science. As well as this, I was attracted by the beautiful campus and the fantastic opportunities offered throughout my degree.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
There were plenty of favourite parts of my degree – firstly, meeting an incredible bunch of people who I got to know well, inside and outside of lectures. I particularly enjoyed the field trips and practicals which were varied and interesting. During my Master’s year, I took the opportunity to work in partnership with a company to complete my dissertation. As well as this, I found an opportunity via LEC’s careers announcements to gain an internship opportunity with a local company.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
The knowledge and skills I have gained at Lancaster has definitely helped me understand certain aspects of my current job, as well as my progress with IEMA membership. For example, I have been able to apply my knowledge to the energy department as a result of the knowledge gained in my Master’s degree.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
It was an incredible experience, where I met friends for life through being a member of Lancaster University Korfball Club, the Graduate Bar Sports teams and through my colleges. The University’s collegiate system is a great set-up, and is certainly one of its selling points. I have made plenty of memories, and will continue to regularly visit the University when I have the opportunity to.