Close

April 29, 2016

Daniel Sayle (KPMG)

Daniel Sayle

Name: Daniel Sayle

Subject: BSc Geography (North America)

Year Graduated: 2012

College: Fylde – In arvo quaerere verum!

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am currently a Chartered Accountant and Tax Adviser for KPMG, one of the global big four accountancy firms, in the beautiful capital of Scotland, Edinburgh. Before this I spent a year in London’s Canary Wharf financial district training for my professional qualifications at KPMG’s own graduate business school.

What would you like to do next?

I have recently accepted a new position as a manager at a fellow professional services firm, RSM and will start the next chapter of my career this summer.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

I choose to study at Lancaster because of its reputation as a top UK and worldwide university, particularly in the field of Geography & Environmental Sciences. The admissions officer for Geography, James Falconbridge had visited my school in the Isle of Man and I was really interested in both his work and the other research taking place within the Lancaster Environment Centre (LEC). I also choose Lancaster due to the type of university; one of the few collegiate universities located on a safe and well equipped campus just a couple of miles south of the main town center. The accommodation has recently been modernised along with the LEC and Sports Center. Apart from the accommodation and academic facilities, the campus also has bank branches, supermarkets, cafes and a bar in every college!

What was your favorite part of your degree and why?

The favorite part of my degree was the year I spent studying abroad at the University of Colorado in the picturesque mountain town of Boulder. During my studies I was able to get involved in some really interesting projects including launching a weather balloon to 30 miles high to record the profile of the atmosphere. I also assisted a NASA ground station in constructing a satellite that was to be launched by the university, and supported a PhD researcher in measuring glacial change in the Himalayas using remote sensing data from satellites. I also got to travel around the United States during term breaks which was a once in a lifetime opportunity!

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

I think the academic side of things speaks for itself but there are also the other areas of the university that help you prepare for a career. The university’s career center for example, offer an additional qualification to your degree called the Lancaster Award, which rewards you for taking part in extra-curricular activities. This has been developed in partnership with employers to demonstrate the new skills acquired and experiences you have at university and will enhance your future employment prospects by standing out from the crowd.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?

One of my favorite memories was a week spent in the Cantabrian Mountains of Spain as part of a final year field trip studying geomorphological change in the region. This was a fantastic time with both students and professors enjoying the landscapes around them and being able to spend some time relaxing together in the evenings. I also really enjoyed playing American football during my first year, a sport I had never tried before, and it was great to make so many friends straight away. At the weekends, I really enjoyed exploring the Lake District, which is right on your doorstep, and trips to Windermere in the Summer are a must do! And of course the huge extravaganza parties held on the last week of term after exams!

Daniel’s LinkedIn profile