Close

April 11, 2016

Nancy Baines (Travelling)

Nancy Baines

Name: Nancy Baines

Subject: Earth and Environmental Science (MSci)

Year graduated: 2015

College: Furness

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I am currently traveling South America and am writing this from the Galapagos islands. I needed a break after studying and my degree has really made me appreciate the environments I’ve seen. It’s great to see a volcanic crater and understand why it’s there!

What would you like to do next?
I was hoping that traveling would help me find what I wanted to do next… But it’s still difficult! I would like to work in communicating information to the public and definitely in the environmental sector.

What made you choose to study at Lancaster?
I was really picky when I looked at universities and Lancaster was one of the two I could actually see myself going to! The campus atmosphere was so welcoming and the facilities seemed really good. I also liked the city and that the lake district was only half an hour away.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
I found the majority of the content really interesting but my highlight was the field trips! How could you not love being in beautiful places with your friends!? Turning 21 on Mount Etna was something I won’t forget in a hurry…

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
My four years at Lancaster has increased my confidence and knowledge. It’s helped me better understand the places I am traveling in. The lectures made me want to go and see all those exciting things we learnt about. My part time job with the university also helped fund it!!

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond)
I had so much fun at Lancaster mostly due to the people I met there. I liked the work-life balance with Lancaster’s location meaning trips to the lakes and barbecues on the beach were easily done. I also liked how many other opportunities were available through the university. I really enjoyed my part time job with the uni as it was nice to have a change from academic work from time to time!