Putting your health first

by Sophia (Student Blogger: Law)

I initially entered Lancaster University as a Law student, back in 2016. I was so incredibly excited, and I knew Lancaster Uni was the right place for me, but my mental health at the time was particularly fragile. I met amazing friends, whom I still live with this year, but I found myself repeatedly unable to fulfil the required workload and I gradually fell behind.

In January of 2017, I made the incredibly difficult decision to intercalate, and then ultimately to withdraw from my Law degree. I knew that I wanted to return to Lancaster university, and with tremendous help from staff, I was able to find a course at the university that would be more suited to my academic style, ability and interests. Fast forward 2 years, and I have never been happier. I have learned more about myself as a person and about what I want from life in the 18 months I have been a student at Lancaster, than I had in the prior 18 years of my life.

There are 2 crucial things I’ve found key to avoid becoming overwhelmed at University, and this advice applies whether you’re a soon-to-be student, or you’re in your final year:

1) Your health should be the most important consideration in your life:
Yes, your university work is crucial, but the thing that allows you to do your work effectively is being in a good physical and mental state. It is totally normal to have days when the last thing you want to do is read; everyone has slow mornings! However, if you have a history of poor mental health or if you’ve just moved to University, you need to figure out whether you’re just having a rough day or actually if your mental health is on the decline. If you think it’s the latter, it’s vital that you give yourself a break, even if you feel like it’s not a good idea. Repeatedly trying to summon the strength to sit down and do that work is going to do far more harm than good. Go for a walk with your housemates, call your parents, go to a cafe and treat yourself to something for trying to do your work, and most importantly do NOT beat yourself up about it!

2) Keeping a routine:
For the most part, having even a vaguely sketched out routine to plan out your days can make completing your work far less daunting. But again, don’t be upset with yourself if you don’t stick to it rigidly! The great thing about University is that your days are largely your own. You may have lectures, seminars, or labs depending on your subject throughout the day, but at some point you will also have free periods in which to do your work or see a friend. Keeping certain times like your evenings free for socialisation or societies often provide a motivation to get your work done. Always reward yourself for hard work!