Close

January 17, 2018

Mathew Chard (Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service)

Name: Mathew Chard

Subject: BA Human Geography; MSc Resource and Environmental Management

Year Graduated: 2010; 2011

College: Cartmel; Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am still based in Lancashire, working for the Greater Manchester Combined Authority, with my specific role as Environmental Manager for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS).

What would you like to do next?

To continue my professional development and extend the great work being done on sustainability within the GMFRS and across the Combined Authority.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

I liked the campus style of the university which seemed to give community feel but also facilitating hobbies such as sports competitions.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

Some of the modules in my BA Hons degree were really different and more real life than the Geography as I knew it from A-levels. This continued in my Masters where I was lucky enough to complete a module based around work experience for a medical waste disposal company which gave me the inspiration that my studies could actually lead to a career in sustainability.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

Looking back, I realised that I learnt a vast array of diverse skills during my degree which definitely prepared me for a career in sustainability where day-to-day activities are constantly changing and evolving. I also did a module on environmental auditing which has been invaluable throughout my career in helping me constantly assess environmental performance and identify areas for improvement.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

Generally making lifelong friends and my partner. As well as that, the range of activities and places to see in and around Lancaster definitely make it a place which offers so much more than studying.