Close

March 30, 2017

Sarah Shallcross (PhD student)

LEC Graduate Sarah Shallcross

Name: Sarah Shallcross

Subject: MSc Volcanology and Geological Hazards

Year Graduated: 2015

College: Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I am currently at the end of my first year of my PhD at the University of Leeds.  My PhD is looking at the climate effects of volcanic ash and past volcanic eruptions using atmospheric modelling.

What would you like to do next?
My dream is to work in a volcanic observatory, but anything where I can use the skills from my degrees and hopefully visit and/or research some volcanoes.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
I’ve been interested in volcanoes since I was young, but never thought I’d get the opportunity to actually study them.  Lancaster gave me the opportunity to do that whilst visiting Mount Etna and also studying other environmental modules which appealed to me.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
The Mount Etna fieldtrip has to be my favourite part.  It’s not every day you get to visit an active volcano covered in snow with specialist volcanologists.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
Studying at Lancaster gave me an appreciation for the hard work, determination and time management required to do good and noteworthy research.  I also gained some good background knowledge for the subject of my PhD and learned how to write and present in a more academic way.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
I enjoyed meeting the volcanologists within Lancaster University, the challenge of my Masters and Lancaster as a place is a lovely place to live.  Lancaster is also the place I started rock climbing which is now my main extra-curricular activity.

What advice would you give to current students?
Enjoy your time at University as much as you can.  Enjoy the freedom and the extra-curricular as well as academic opportunities.  Most importantly, don’t stress and don’t compare yourself to others.  Everything can be resolved in one way or another, whether it’s personal or academic and everyone is different which is what makes life exciting! Being positive solves far more problems than being negative.

You can see Sarah’s University profile page or connect with her on LinkedIn for more info.