Close

March 9, 2017

Lydia Atkinson (Atkins Global)

LEC Graduate Lydia Atkinson

Name: Lydia Atkinson

Subject: BSc Ecology; MSc Ecology and Conservation

Year Graduated: 2016

College: LonsdaleGraduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I’m an Assistant Ecologist at Atkins Global, an international design, engineering and project management consultancy, at one of their offices in Warrington. We often work on large infrastructure projects and my job mostly, but not exclusively, involves carrying out wildlife surveys for protected species and writing reports.

What would you like to do next?
I’m not completely sure what lies ahead but can definitely see myself continuing on in my current area of work.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
The course looked exciting and the resources on campus were excellent! Everyone I spoke to on the open day I went to was friendly, LEC had a really nice atmosphere and I also liked Lancaster as a city and the beautiful landscapes around it.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
I absolutely loved the field trips. I got to go to some great places and see some amazing wildlife with academics who really knew their stuff, including the Scottish Highlands, the Donana in Spain and the Brazilian Amazon. I learnt a lot and had a huge amount of fun at the same time.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
I learnt so much at Lancaster in terms of both theoretical and practical knowledge, it’s hard to know where to start! During both my BSc and MSc dissertations I developed my field skills which is key to my job. I also gained skills in identification, scientific writing and a strong basis in ecological theory.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
I really enjoyed living in the city and Lancaster’s general atmosphere. There was a lot going on both in town and on Campus and I was able to get involved in societies, including the Ecology Society. Lancaster is also really close to some stunning landscapes in the Trough of Bowland and the Lakes with Clougha Pike very close to campus and Leighton Moss and Silverdale easy to get to by train. Finding places to go out and explore was never difficult!

You can connect with Lydia on LinkedIn