Close

February 13, 2017

Rosie Convoy (Mainstream Renewable Power)

Lancaster Graduate Rosie Convoy

Name: Rosie Convoy (nee Scurr)

Subject: BSc Combined Science (USA); PGDip Environment and Development

Year Graduated: BSc 2005; PGDip 2006

College: Cartmel; Graduate

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I am currently working in Glasgow, Scotland, I live in a rural village about 30 minutes commute from the city. I started off my career immediately after graduating with my PGDip with Wind Prospect in Lancaster, after two years I moved up to Scotland and worked for another onshore wind developer for a year before moving into offshore wind. I worked on the development of the Beatrice Offshore Wind Farm as an Environmental Advisor with SSE for three years, then for the last three years I have been working on the Neart na Gaoithe Offshore Wind Farm as an Environment Manager with Mainstream Renewable Power. My job entails securing and ensuring compliance with consents and licences, management of field surveys, supervision of construction works and stakeholder engagement.

Outside of work I also manage the development of a community wind turbine scheme on a voluntary basis.

What would you like to do next?
I would hope to continue working on the project I am currently working on, seeing it through to construction and operation. I also want to be in a position where I can help encourage more girls to consider STEM careers, in particular in the environmental sector.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
Firstly, I was really impressed with the strong Environmental Science department; I also wanted to be at a University close to mountains for hiking, being within easy reach of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales made Lancaster perfect. It was also important that the degree course enabled me to spend my second year studying abroad in the USA or Canada. The out-of-town campus location of Lancaster also really attracted me.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
I can’t pinpoint one thing in particular as it was the whole experience that made it. The Combined Science degree meant I did not have to specialise and could continue to pursue Environmental Science, Ecology and Physical Geography. The year I spent in Boulder, Colorado was a major highlight, the modules I was able to study there were so diverse including Mountain Geography (with topics ranging from avalanches to mountain worship), Colorado River Water Law and Paleontology.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
The fact that I didn’t have to specialise means I have a very broad understanding of the ‘environment’, which has stood me in good stead for the myriad of topics covered by EIAs for wind farms, from shipping and navigation to hydrogeology. It also gave me great skills in critical thinking, which are essential when undertaking due diligence and reviewing specialist consultant’s contributions to reports.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
Outside of academics, I have to say without a doubt it was Hiking Club, I joined in Fresher’s Week and was out exploring almost every weekend and during the holidays. I made lifelong friends and saw so much of the country, it gave me a passion for Scotland which was a key driver in my move up here.

See how Rosie started a career in Wind Power by connecting on LinkedIn.