Close

February 7, 2017

Matt Barker (BRE)

Lancaster Graduate Matt Barker

Name: Matthew Barker

Subject: BSc Environmental Science

Year Graduated: 2015

College: County

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I now work for a national research organisation who cover all aspects of the built environment. I currently work mainly in Flood resilience, but also have input into various other areas including sustainable products; research and innovation; and our green building assessment programme BREEAM. I am currently about to start my last placement on my environmental graduate scheme. I have also had the opportunity to live in various areas all around the UK. I am also on the Defra roundtable for Flood Resilience and I also task lead Task Group 3, as a part of this and going forward.

What would you like to do next?
When my scheme is complete, I will continue to work for the company in flood resilience and will hopefully be managing my own centre/scheme within the company. I would like progress within this field going forward.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
Lancaster offered fantastic services, resources and networks in order to further my education and develop my specialist area. This was done in such a way that I could learn about several areas in sufficient detail and then choose the most appropriate for me.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
The assistance and engagement of staff was second only to the opportunities to practice what I was learning in my studies out in the field, in the form of field courses and off site exercises.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
Lancaster gave me a great base to find out what areas of environmental science I had both personal and professional interests in and gave me the capacity to build on these.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
I helped to established Lancaster University EnviroSoc which was a society for Environmental Science students. This was a great experience and was really useful for assistance with any difficult tasks/assignments.

Are you interested in a career working with the built environment? You can connect with Matt on LinkedIn