Close

February 2, 2017

Brittany Heap (Carbon Literacy Project)

Lancaster University Graduate Brittany Heap

Name: Brittany Heap

Subject: BSc Environmental Biology

Year Graduated: 2014

College: Pendle

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I’ve just started working as a Project Co-ordinator for a charity called the Carbon Literacy Project.  I volunteered with them just after I graduated. We’re aiming to give everybody that lives, works or studies in Greater Manchester a day’s Carbon Literacy training, helping them to make informed decisions on how to lower their carbon footprint.

What would you like to do next?
I’ve only just started my new job, so no plans to leave!

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
It’s always high in the university league tables, had a good environment department and I liked the size of the university and the town.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
The fieldtrips we went on, particularly the Scottish fieldtrip. I found them very informative, fun and exactly was exactly what I wanted from the course.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
I’m using the skills I learnt at university, rather than the actual knowledge. My day involves managing volunteers, checking documents and liaising with people studying on the course, so I suppose communication skills are key, and this is a big part of going to university.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
I think the location was my favourite bit. I used to cycle to uni along a beautiful canal path and through fields and forests. You’re also only minutes away from Arnside, Silverdale, The Forest of Bowland and that is pretty spectacular!

Volunteering allows you to learn new skills, give something back and of course enriches your CV – it may even lead to a graduate job! Would you like to volunteer? Check out some options here!