Close

October 18, 2018

Carl Smith (Professor of Landscape Architecture and Urban Design)

Dr Carl Smith graduated from Lancaster in 1995. Since then, his career path has woven together his interests in natural and cultural processes. As well as his academic position, he’s also a chartered landscape architect with a research and practice focus on sustainable place-making. It was his time at Lancaster that set him on this fulfilling trajectory: geomorphology classes, and in particular careful drawing and reading of the topographic form of Carrock Fell (on a field course that current students still go on) were deeply influential.

Name: Dr Carl Smith

Subject: BSc Environmental Science

Year Graduated: 1995

College: Pendle

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I’m a professor of landscape architecture and urban design at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, USA.

What would you like to do next?

At the time of writing: I’m looking forward to taking up a visiting professorship in urbanism at Universidad Autónoma Gabriel René Moreno, Bolivia. There I’ll be part of an international team considering the future development of Santa Cruz de la Sierra.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

Lancaster had, and continues to have, a first-class reputation for environmental science and allied areas of study.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

The field trips, whether local or overseas, were both fun and instructional. I think exposure to some of the best environmental educators, was crucial in shaping me as a professional and, ultimately, as a teacher and researcher.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

I think my time as an undergraduate influences and flows through everything I do, both directly and more generally. It was my first step into independent adulthood.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

Undoubtedly the friendships! More than a quarter century on, those relationships remain a vital part of my life.