Close

January 18, 2018

Nicola Critten (Masters Student)

Name: Nicola Critten

Subject: BA Geography

Year Graduated: 2017

College: Lonsdale

Where are you now and what are you doing?

I am currently completing my masters degree in GIS at the University College London.

What would you like to do next?

I will hopefully secure a GIS-based role within London post-graduation.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?

The geography department seemed really friendly and approachable on the open day. As well as this, the course seemed really varied and flexible, which I did not find at other universities.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?

Going on the Spain field trip in second year was definitely a highlight. The coursework allowed groups to pick topics that we were passionate about and then be fairly independent in carrying out the fieldwork. Additionally, I made loads of friends on the trip and had all round great time.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?

By undertaking GIS modules each year at Lancaster I found a specialism that I really enjoyed and wanted to pursue further as a career. Furthermore, the way that Duncan Whyatt created the final year GIS module has well equipped me for the topics that I am currently covering on my masters course.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond?)

I would say that having three years learning more about a subject that I knew I liked, but now I love, whilst also finding out the specific parts of Geography that I enjoyed most (after changing degree schemes twice before realising human geography was more suited to me). Also, making friends for life and getting to see them every day was pretty enjoyable!