Close

March 10, 2017

George Linney: Energy Lancaster Summer Internship

Energy Lancaster

What did you do this summer?
This summer I spent three months working with Energy Lancaster. The main aim of this work was to spatially analyse Lancaster University’s electricity data. I achieved this by creating an interactive map of the electricity data on Lancaster University’s campus. I also wrote a report on my findings and instructions for using the map.

Throughout this project I worked closely with the Energy Lancaster team to ensure that the map I was creating fitted their requirements. I also gained valuable technical skills; including learning how to use ArcMap and enhancing my knowledge of MATLAB and Microsoft Excel.

How did you find out about it?
I found out about this internship through Lancaster University’s Science and Technology internships website.

Did you have to apply? If so, how did you make yourself stand out?
Yes, I had to make an online application through Lancaster University’s Science and Technology internships website, which was followed by an interview. I believe that undertaking a dissertation with external partner (Peak Associates Environmental Consultancy) linked to energy and the skills in MATLAB I had learnt from the module LEC.272: Environmental Data Visualisation and Analysis put me in a favourable position.

Has it helped you think about what you want to do in the future?
This internship has highlighted to me the importance of energy management and the use of ArcMap for data visualisation. I enjoyed the type of work I undertook during this internship and as a result I intend to apply for a placement with an environmental company specialising in data analysis and modelling as part of the fourth year of my course.

Would you like to do an internship? Click to find out more.