Close

January 27, 2017

Tom Heywood (Unilever Graduate Scheme)

Lancaster University Graduate Tom Heywood

Name: Tom Heywood

Subject: BSc Geography BSC

Year Graduated: 2016

College: Fylde

Where are you now and what are you doing?
I’m currently in the first Rotation of the Unilever Graduate scheme working in London. I am working within the Business and Technology management scheme; bringing tech innovations into the business.

What would you like to do next?
The Scheme sees me do four 6 months placements both nationally and internationally (I have my fingers crossed for a move to Manhattan next). Following the scheme I will take up a management role within the Technology arm of the business.

Why did you choose to study at Lancaster?
The University and course ranking was certainly the reason I first came to have a look around. But in the end it was that the course was aligned to what I was interested in, and allowed me some space to choose what I wanted to do.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
I liked the variation I got from my course and the ability to spend time with people of similar interests. Although field trips were not unappreciated!

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
I have found that doing the degree I did gave me the access to a huge variety of careers. I received grad offers in Banking, Corporates as well as accountancy firms. This was probably due to the wide skill set that you get from Degrees like Geography, with your exposure to GIS as well as human elements where you have to be able to write well. Geography was a social course and in the corporate world your people skills are often more important than hard skills.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster?
The strong group of friends, the campus environment and sports societies mean that uni goes past in a bit of a blur!

You can connect with Tom on LinkedIn here.