Close

March 21, 2016

Theo Platts-Dunn (University Professional Services)

Theo Platts-Dunn

Name: Theo Platts-Dunn

Degree: MSci Earth and Environmental Science

Year graduated: 2015

College: Fylde

Where are you now, and what are you doing?
Having graduated in July 2015, I’ve returned to Lancaster to do an internship with LEC. I’m working within the Enterprise and Business Partnerships Team and also help coordinate and plan employability events in LEC. The internship has been an excellent way for me to develop some solid work experience which looks great on my CV.

What made you choose to do this?
I wanted to gained some office work experience as its a prerequisite for many graduate roles I’ve seen online.

What would you like to do next?
I’m looking to move away from Lancaster and I’ve been applying for jobs focussing on sustainability development. Many of the roles I have seen have been as part of university sustainability teams so the experience I have gained working at Lancaster stands me in good stead for many of these roles. In terms of the long term, I’m not really sure what my plan is so for the time being I’m just going pursue what interests me.

What made you choose to study at Lancaster?
I remember coming to visit Lancaster on an open day and really liking the atmosphere on campus. As well as that I remember being attracted by the breadth of my chosen degree scheme. After sixth form I wasn’t sure which of my interests to follow so I was pleased when I found that my degree at Lancaster would encompass a large spectrum of modules from global environmental challenges to the structure of the earth’s interior.

What was your favourite part of your degree and why?
The best part of my degree was the variety of field trips and hand on learning experiences. Over the course of four years at Lancaster I’ve visited Spain, Italy, Mull, The Lake District and also took part in an optional overseas trip to Guangzhou in China. Getting hands on experience like this, in conjunction with my academic studies, is a great way to learn.

How do you think your time at Lancaster prepared you for what you’re currently doing?
The transferrable skills I developed over the course of my degree have helped me enormously in my current role. The ability to manage my time well and communicate effectively have all been tested and improved upon over the course of my current internship.

What did you enjoy most about your time at Lancaster? (Including extra-curricular activities and beyond)
The bit I enjoyed the most about my time at Lancaster was meeting likeminded people who have the same interests as me. I also enjoyed the wide variety of extra-curricular activities available. A particular highlight for me was captaining the korfball team on a record breaking losing streak in my third year.