Close

January 7, 2016

My MSc dissertation: Experiences, lessons learnt and finding a job – Clare Stewart, LEC Alumni

I recently graduated in MSc Energy and the Environment from Lancaster University. During my Masters year, I was successful in securing an EMpower sponsored project with Nuclear New Build (NNB), part of EDF Energy in London. These projects offer the chance to spend three to five months with a company working in the nuclear industry.

In April 2015, I moved to London to start work. I quickly integrated into the Environment Team and started working on the chlorination strategy for the main heat sink of the Hinkley Point C power station that is being built in Somerset. The project introduced me to the nuclear industry and more specifically to the environmental considerations which must be accounted for. I was able to get involved in work outside of the scope of my dissertation that colleagues in the Environment Team were doing. This meant I met a wide range of people within NNB, EDF Energy and the Environment Agency. I also arranged meetings with colleagues throughout the different teams and attended events to enhance my knowledge and understanding of the business.

My project description gave little information away and I started work without knowing too much about what I was going to be doing. This turned out to provide me with the opportunity to shape the project around my interests and the company’s priorities when I started work. Chlorination is an industry-wide standard method for preventing biofouling (the build-up of marine organisms) within the heat sink of power stations. These heat sinks provide good conditions for the growth of these organisms, which left to their own devices, can reduce efficiency of the cooling cycle and even force plant shutdown. The purpose of chlorination is to prevent this growth. However, chlorine levels need to be carefully controlled to prevent environmental damage and my project consisted of exploring alternative techniques to determine if they could replace chlorination.

My colleagues and supervisors provided a lot of useful feedback and advice on my work and development opportunities.  I was applying for jobs throughout my dissertation project and the whole team was highly supportive and provided invaluable feedback. Despite not having a job lined up when I submitted my dissertation, I felt that I had gained a lot of experience and was more confident in interview situations. These skills were put to good use when I applied to a vacancy with NNB soon after completing my course. A few weeks later, I was informed I was successful and am now a permanent member of staff in the Environment Team.

Although my summer dissertation project will have strengthened my job application, I think it is worth remembering to take advantage of all the opportunities available, to get involved in a wide range of (extra-curricular) activities and to seek work experience throughout university. The EMpower scheme is expected to run again this year so if an industrial project is something you’re interested in, then keep your eyes open. Lancaster Environment Centre was very accommodating in allowing me to apply for the scheme despite the December deadline for selecting projects and I would definitely recommend applying if you can.