Digital Accessibility Intern

ISS – Faculty IT
Salary:   £17,682 to £19,133
Closing Date:   Tuesday 22 October 2019
Interview Date:   Friday 01 November 2019
Reference:  N1990

In order to apply, please visit the Lancaster University Human Resources website.

These posts are funded by Widening Participation funding and restricted to applicants who meet at least one of the widening participation criteria outlined below*  Please state which of the criteria you meet within your cover letter.

In addition, applicants must also be:

• Graduates of Lancaster University within the past 18 months who are seeking work  OR
  • Current undergraduate students (part time only, maximum 20 hours per week) AND
  • UK or EU citizens

About the role:

We wish to appoint a small team of interns with excellent IT skills to work in academic departments to assist with the review and upgrading of digital learning materials to ensure they are accessible to those with a wide range of disabilities.  Typically the work will involve checking documents for heading structure, labelling data tables, adding descriptions to images, checking for colour contrast, reviewing links etc.  You will also work with tutors to provide advice on how to make accessible content.

We are looking for people who possess a high degree of empathy and a sensitivity to the difficulties faced by a wide range of users, not just those with disabilities.

Whether or not you are considering a career in a digital environment, you will gain a valuable insight into the concepts of ‘digital and social inclusion’ for disabled and other communities that access our websites and digital materials.

We need to recruit across the range of disciplines and our intention is to locate you in a faculty related to your studies.  Please state clearly in your application if you have knowledge of subjects that use technical notation such as maths, science, stats, etc. 

If you are a current student you will be expected to commit to a fixed number of hours per week at regular times.These will be arranged to fit in with your academic timetable and exams and reviewed termly.

If you are a recent graduate and are appointed to a full-time position, you will be expected to be on campus and available for work for 36.5 hours per week, including during the Christmas and Easter vacations when the University is normally open for business.

Full training will be given and you will also be supported by staff from ISS.

This is a full time, fixed term appointment for approximately 9 months.

Informal enquiries can be made to Alison Sharman a.sharman@lancaster.ac.uk

Further information about making content accessible can be found on this Moodle course.

*Widening participation criteria

• I receive a Lancaster Bursary
  • I am from a neighbourhood where higher education participation is low (defined as your home postcode being ‘POLAR4 quintile 1 or quintile 2’, you can check your postcode eligibility using this online tool )
  • I am the first generation of my family to attend university
  • I am Black, Asian or from a minority ethnic group (including Traveller communities)
  • I have a disability (including Autism or Specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia )
  • I have a long term physical or mental health condition
  • I am a care leaver or estranged from my family
  • I am a mature student (over 21 on first entry to university for undergraduate study)
  • I have caring responsibilities
  • At school I was entitled to free school meals or your school/college received a pupil premium for you
  • I am a refugee or asylum seeker
  • I am from a military family