Time well spent

by Anna (Student Blogger: BA Hons French Studies and Linguistics)

Life at Lancaster is fun, and studying in a thriving environment with a multitude of students from over the globe means developing skills and overcoming challenges.

When it comes to challenges, I found myself struggling to balance time, particularly when to study and manage my study time.

This struggle began to affect my ability to study effectively, as well as my enjoyment of my courses. In turn, this affected my mental health, and the relationships I was making at university.

I found myself spending too much time in the library, unintentionally overwhelming myself with work. It would take me hours to write up lecture notes, and even longer to do the reading. I would end the day feeling drained and start the next with dread. Dragging yourself to the library before and after lectures is not desirable for any student, but especially when you’re already shattered.

So, after spending the whole of first term of second year slaving away, I began second term just a little apprehensive. But then I became close with another girl on my course, and our friendship meant we spent time together both at university and while back in our houses in town.

We began having “study dates” on campus i.e. booking a study space in the library and grabbing a Costa. We would methodically work through our lecture notes, and I found myself working quicker and actually enjoying it. Rather than being distracted, my friend would keep me on track and find a way to engage my attention and interest if necessary.

I would look forward to spending time with my friend, and in turn would enjoy revising my lecture notes and doing the readings. With it being exam season, we have also spent time revising. Despite both studying the same course, we chose different second year modules, and it has actually been helpful to go over a module my friend hasn’t studied because if I can explain it coherently to her then I know I have studied it thoroughly.

Overcoming this challenge has made me feel more confident in my ability to study as I have learned how to manage my time much better. Of course, I still have to counteract distractions (thank you Netflix) but by studying more effectively, I have more time on my hands to do things I enjoy.

My friend and I balanced our time so well during second term, that we were able to go out once or twice a week, and we would study within the week. This made me not only enjoy studying more, but also made me enjoy university more.

So, after spending first year and the first term of second year studying miserably, I have finally unlocked how to study effectively, and after overcoming this, I would happily share as much with others as possible. Studying together with people off your course makes university much more fun, and it’s a way to maintain friendships too.

I hope you find yourself enjoying studying at Lancaster as much as I do, and that you’re able to build relationships with people who share your passions.