FASS Internships: Student Stories

Jenna Higham, Richardson Institute Intern 2016/17

Taking part in the Richardson Internship has been one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I have been involved in since returning to Lancaster to complete my Masters. There was a wealth of options for choosing what type of project you wanted to become involved in, which meant that I could choose an area of research that I have a keen interest in but that my degree doesn’t have much focus on. I feel that having been part of the Richardson Institute has not only enhanced my research capabilities but has also given me the platform to showcase my knowledge and skills, which helped me to secure a summer placement working for ISD in London. I really can’t recommend getting involved in the Richardson Institute internship enough!

Kristine Gjos, Richardson Institute Intern 2016/17

The Richardson Institute internship Programme has been a great experience that has allowed me to conduct actual research that really matters, while also increasing my analytical, teamwork and organisational skills.

Jenna Higham, FASS Internship Scheme, Institute of Strategic Dialogue

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the FASS Internship Scheme to anyone considering it. The application stage was straightforward and well-managed, and from the moment I accepted my place I got all the support I needed from the FASS Placements Officer. She made sure that I knew how to get the most out of my placement, and that I had some idea of what to expect when I arrived. The internship organisation was more welcoming and helpful than I could have ever hoped for and they really allowed me to get a taste of what it is like to work for a counter-extremism think tank. My supervisors were also keen for me to undertake the types of tasks I wanted which meant that I had real control over what skills I could build on as part of my internship. If you’re thinking about applying for an internship please do it; it was an invaluable experience and will hopefully really benefit my career after my Masters.

Simon James, FASS internship Scheme, Nine Lives Media

One of the internships that the FASS Internship Scheme provided me with was at Nine Lives Media, a BAFTA-winning television production company based in Manchester where I received my first TV credit. The placement gave me hands-on television production experience, which should prove invaluable this year when it comes to deciding what I want to do when I graduate.

Guy Christiansen, Creative Learning Director, The Dukes Theatre

The FASS Internship Scheme has been excellent for a number of reasons, namely in that the internship was bespoke to our business needs and there was flexibility to shape and redesign the internship as it evolved. It’s been an overwhelming success and we are committed to continue our relationship with the student who has agreed to work for the organisation on a freelance basis.