FASS Internship Scheme: Ruth Jones

Ruth is a third year English Literature student who has just completed 5 weeks work experience with Comma Press, a publishing initiative in Manchester, where she worked as the Marketing and Productions Assistant. We recently spoke with Ruth and asked her to reflect upon her experiences with the Internship Scheme and at Comma Press.

Why did you choose to undertake an internship?

I decided to apply to gain some experience in publishing, which can be hard to come by due to the competitiveness of the industry and the small number of publishing houses in the north. I thought the job description was pretty well suited to me, as an editor of the Flash Literary Journal, so I thought it seemed like a perfect way to end my university degree.

What did your role at Comma Press entail?

As marketing and production assistant my role was very varied. Some days I would be helping to manage social media, scheduling tweets and writing blog posts etc. Others I would be asked to edit or otherwise give my opinion on new pieces sent in by writers, and I was pleased to find that my thoughts were valued and taken into account when it came to the selection process of what to publish. Often my days would have a mix of jobs, such as updating the website, or researching writers and events that could be useful in marketing material.

How would you summarise your internship experience?

My internship was certainly an opportunity for growth. My overall takeaway from the experience was a more solid sense of security in my own abilities, and excitement to take on what’s next after I graduate, feeling more assured now that I have some good work experience behind me.

What did you like most about your internship?

I enjoyed getting a closer look at the industry I aspire to join, learning about lots of different areas of the production process. I was entrusted with a lot of responsibility, and was definitely encouraged to be creative and try my own ideas out, which made me feel like a real member of the team.

Has this internship helped you decide on the next steps of your career?

This internship has confirmed by desires to work in the publishing sector, and has given me an invaluable first step into that world. I had serious discussions about my future aspirations with the boss in my internship, in which I was given advice and encouragement on how to achieve my goals. This experience had certainly given me more solid career goals, and given me an idea of how I can achieve them.

Were you supported by the FASS Placements and Internships team and the Careers team before gaining this internship?

The Careers team were with me every step of the way, setting up the interview and giving me assurance when I was nervous, giving me advice when I first started out and emailing me regularly to check up on my progress. It was certainly a supportive environment.