2016 Placement Blog: Emily Tyler

Emily Tyler: Summer 2016 Intern for Lancaster City Council

Here is another post from student intern Emily Tyler, who was placed at Lancaster City Council. This is especially useful for those of you wishing to apply for this placement opportunity this summer.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/emily-tyler-18b88411a

Hi, my name is Emily Tyler, and I am currently studying Linguistics and Chinese at Lancaster University. As a mature student I wanted to make the most of my time at university, and make sure I took advantage of all the opportunities offered to me. So I decided to apply for this internship with Lancaster City Council.

I was nervous about attending the interview but really didn’t need to worry. Mark and Kate were really welcoming and made me feel at ease. I think the fact that I had done a lot of preparation made me feel comfortable to answer questions and also ask a few of my own. I was still nervous waiting for the call to hear whether I had been offered the job, but delighted to hear I had been successful!

So, I’ve now been on my placement for a few weeks and have really enjoyed every project I have worked on so far. Everyone in the office is really friendly and they have helped me to integrate into the team. So far I have worked on developing existing projects within the Lancashire area which generally tend to involve finding suitable images, writing press releases and discussing options with new partners.

I was recently involved in the launch of a new book that was published in partnership with the council, which was really exciting as I got to develop a lot of key skills such as communication and networking.

Hopefully I can let you know what other projects I have worked on when I am halfway through my internship!