The 1st Joint Workshop on Financial Narrative Processing and MultiLing Financial Summarisation (FNP-FNS 2020)
To be held at The 28th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING’2020), Barcelona, Spain [online] on 12 December 2020.
FNP-FNS 2020 Final Proceedings: https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/volumes/2020.fnp-1/
FNP-FNS Online Running Instructions: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/cfie/fnpfns-instructions/
Workshop Program: Click here to see the workshop schedule
Keynote speaker: Dr Ana Gisbert, to join the talk: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/cfie/keynote/
Keynote speaker slides: Narrative Reporting
FNP-FNS 2020 shared tasks:
1) Financial summarisation (FNS 2020),
2) Financial Reports structure detection (FinTOC 2020),
3) Causality Identification in Financial documents (FinCausal 2020).
Important Dates (shared tasks may have different deadlines please check):
This is the first joint workshop between FNP and MultiLing workshops, both workshops have been running for several years with great success.
The joint workshop will focus on the use of Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), and Corpus Linguistics (CL) methods related to all aspects of financial text mining and financial narrative processing (FNP) in addition to demonstrating the value and challenges of applying summarisation to multilingual financial text, usually referred to as financial narrative disclosures.
There is a growing interest in the application of automatic and computer-aided approaches for extracting, summarising, and analysing both qualitative and quantitative financial data.
Financial narrative disclosures represent a large part of firms overall financial communications with investors. Textual commentaries help to clarify issues obscured by complex accounting methods and footnote disclosures.
In addition, narratives summarise corporate strategy, contextualise results, explain governance arrangements, describe corporate social responsibility policy, and provide forward-looking information for investors.
- Dr Mahmoud El-Haj, Lancaster University (General Chair)
- Dr Houda Bouamor, CMU, Qatar (FNP Program Chair)
- Dr Marina Litvak, Shamoon Academic College of Engineering (FNS Program Chair)
- Dr Paul Rayson, Lancaster University (FNP Program Chair)
- Dr Vasiliki Athanasakou, Saint Mary’s University (FNP-FNS Program Chair and Advisor)
- Dr George Giannakopoulos, NCSR Demokritos (FNS Program Chair)
- Dr Sira Ferradans (Publication Chair)
- Dr Dialekti Valsamou, Fortia Financial Solutions (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Dr Ismail El Maarouf, Fortia Financial Solution (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Najah-Imane Bentabet, Fortia Financial Solution (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Remi Juge, Fortia Financial Solution (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Dr Catherine Salzedo, Lancaster University (FNP-FNS Publicity Chair)
- Nikiforos Pittaras, NCSR Demokritos (Publicity Chair and FNS Shared Task Organiser)
- Ahmed AbuRaed, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (FNS Shared Task Organiser)
- Dr Ans Elhag, Lancaster University (FNP-FNS Publication Chair)
- Dominique Mariko, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Hanna Abi-Akl, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Hugues de Mazancourt, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Estelle Labidurie, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Stephane Durfort, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
We invite submissions on topics that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applying core technologies on financial narratives: morphological analysis, disambiguation, tokenization, POS tagging, named entity recognition, chunking, parsing, semantic role labelling, sentiment analysis, document quality and advanced readability metrics etc.
- Using NLP to detect misreporting in relation to diversity and wellbeing on issues related to gender, ethnicity, women at work as well as employee mental health and stability.
- Financial narratives resources: dictionaries, annotated data, tools and technologies etc.
- Given the international nature of the conference, we particularly welcome FNP papers reporting non- English and multilingual research, describing the different regulatory regimes within which companies operate internationally.
- Summarisation across domains and sources that are related to finance (e.g. company blogs, product reviews, market briefs, etc.), this includes financial multilingual and cross-lingual summarisation using single-document summarisation, multi-document summarisation, summarisation evaluation, headline generation, cross-domain/cross-topic summarisation.
Paper Submission Instructions:
Please submit your camera ready (final version) before 1 November 2020.
Please un-anonymise your paper by adding author names following COLING template (see zip file below)
Please note that: Both long papers and short papers can have 1 extra page for addressing the reviewers’ comments.
Submission format should follow COLING’s 2020 author kit: https://coling2020.org/pages/submission
Please follow the guidelines and use the COLING-2020 style files in coling2020.zip
It has LATEX files, Microsoft Word template file, and a sample PDF file.
Submissions must describe substantial, original, completed and unpublished work. Wherever appropriate, concrete evaluation and analysis should be included.
Submissions may consist of no less than four (4) and up to eight (8) pages of content, plus unlimited references.
The workshop supports the ACL anti-harassment policy.
- Andrew Moore (Lancaster University, UK)
- Antonio Moreno Sandoval (UAM, Spain)
- Vasiliki Athanasakou (SMU, Canada)
- Ahmed AbuRa’ed (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain),
- Nikiforos Pittaras (NCSR, Demokritos).
- Catherine Salzedo (LUMS, Lancaster University, UK)
- Denys Proux (Naver Labs, Switzerland)
- George Giannakopoulos (SKEL Lab – NCSR Demokritos, Greece)
- Haithem Afli (Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland)
- Houda Bouamor (CMU, Qatar)
- Mahmoud El-Haj (SCC, Lancaster University, UK)
- Marina Litvak (Sami Shamoon College of Engineering, Israel)
- Martin Walker (University of Manchester, UK)
- Paul Rayson (SCC, Lancaster University, UK)
- Simonetta Montemagni (Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale – ILC, Italy)
- Sira Ferradans, France
- Dialekti Valsamou (Fortia Financial Solutions, France)
- Ismail El Maarouf (Fortia Financial Solution, France)
- Steven Young (LUMS, Lancaster University, UK)
- Scott Piao (SCC, Lancaster University, UK)
- Mohan Subbiah (LUMS, Lancaster University, UK)
- Paulo Alves (Accounting, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Portugal)
- Thomas Schleicher (MBA, Manchester University)
- Ana Gisbert (Accounting, UAM, Spain)
- Ans Elhag (Lancaster University, UK)
- John M. Conroy (IDA Center for Computing Sciences, USA)
- Elena Lloret (University of Alicante, Spain)
- Vangelis Karkaletsis (NCSR Demokritos)
- Mark Last (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel)
- Natalia Vanetik (Sami Shamoon College of Engineering, Israel)
- George Petasis (NCSR Demokritos, Greece)
- Peter Rankel (Elder Research Inc., USA)
- Remi Juge (Fortia Financial Solutions, France)
- Dominique Mariko (Yseop, France)
- Anubhav Gupta (Yseop, France)
- Hanna Abi-Akl (Yseop, France)
- Hugues de Mazancourt (Yseop, France)
- Estelle Labidurie (Yseop, France)
- Stephane Durfort(Yseop, France)
List of accepted papers:
|A Computational Analysis of Financial and Environmental Narratives within Financial Reports and its Value for Investors||Felix Armbrust, Henry Schäfer and Roman Klinger||Main Workshop|
|Extracting Fine-Grained Economic Events from Business News||Gilles Jacobs and Veronique Hoste||Main Workshop|
|Hierarchical summarization of financial reports with RUNNER||Marina Litvak, Natalia Vanetik and Zvi Puchinsky||Main Workshop|
|Information Extraction from Federal Open Market Committee Statements||Oana Frunza||Main Workshop|
|Mitigating Silence in Compliance Terminology during Parsing of Utterances||Esme Manandise and Conrad de Peuter||Main Workshop|
|Predicting Modality in Financial Dialogue||Kilian Theil and Heiner Stuckenschmidt||Main Workshop|
|The Financial Document Structure Extraction Shared task (FinToc 2020)||Najah-Imane Bentabet, Rémi JUGE, Ismail El Maarouf, Virginie Mouilleron, Dialekti Valsamou-Stanislawski and Mahmoud El-Haj||Main Workshop|
|BERT_ARMY at FinCausal 2020, Task 1: Causality Detection using Sentence Embeddings in Financial Reports||Arka Mitra, Harshvardhan Srivastava and Yugam Tiwari||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|Domino – Causal Extraction System||Sharanya Chakravarthy, Tushar Kanakagiri, Karthik Radhakrishnan and Anjana Umapathy||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|FinCausal 2020 Shared Task: Financial Document Causality Detection||Toshiya Imoto and Tomoki Ito||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|FinCausal-2020 Shared Classification Task Using BERT and Linearmodels||Hariharan R L and Anand Kumar M||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|GBe at FinCausal 2020, Task 2: Span-based Causality Extraction for Financial Documents||Guillaume Becquin||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|LangResearchLab_NC at FinCausal 2020, Task 1: A Knowledge Induced Neural Net for Causality Detection||Raksha Agarwal, Ishaan Verma and Niladri Chatterjee||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|LIORI at the FinCausal 2020 Shared task||Denis Gordeev, Adis Davletov, Alexey Rey and Nikolay Arefiev||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|Munich Re at FinCausal 2020 – Causal Sentence Identification||Sarthak Gupta||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|NTUNLPL at FinCausal 2020, Task 2:Improving Causality Detection Using Viterbi Decoder||Pei-Wei Kao, Chung-Chi Chen, Hen-Hsen Huang and Hsin-Hsi Chen||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|Our Participation in the FinCausal Shared Task||Gökberk Özenir and İlknur Karadeniz||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|ProsperAMnet at FinCausal 2020: Modeling causality in financial texts using multi-headed transformers||Zsolt Szántó and Gábor Berend||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|The FinCausal-2020 Shared Task: Financial Documents Causality Detection (FNP 2020)||Dominique Mariko, Hugues De Mazancourt, Mahmoud El-Haj, Hanna Abi-Akl, Stephane Durfort and Estelle Labidurie||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|UPB at FinCausal-2020, Tasks 1 & 2: Causality Analysis in Financial Documents using Pretrained Language Models||Marius Ionescu, Andrei-Marius Avram, George-Andrei Dima, Dumitru-Clementin Cercel and Mihai Dascalu||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|Using Ensemble Methods and Sequence Tagging to Detect Causality in Financial Documents||Maren Pielka, Rajkumar Ramamurthy, Anna Ladi, Eduardo Brito, Clayton Chapman, Paul Mayer and Rafet Sifa||Fin-Causal-2020-Shared-Task|
|AMEX-AI-LABS: Investigating Transfer Learning for Title Detection in Table of Contents Generation||Dhruv Premi, Amogh Badugu and Himanshu Sharad Bhatt||FinToc-2020-Shared-Task|
|Anonymous@FinTOC’2: Multilingual Document Structure Extraction using Transfer Learning||Frederic Haase and Steffen Kirchhoff||FinToc-2020-Shared-Task|
|Daniel@FinTOC’2 Shared Task: Title Detection and Structure Extraction||Emmanuel Giguet, Gaël Lejeune and Jean-Baptiste Tanguy||FinToc-2020-Shared-Task|
|Table of Contents Detection in Financial Documents||Dijana Kosmajac, Stacey Taylor and Mozhgan Saeidi||FinToc-2020-Shared-Task|
|UWB@FinTOC-2020 Shared Task: Financial Document Title Detection||Tomáš Hercig and Pavel Kral||FinToc-2020-Shared-Task|
|AMEX AI-Labs: An Investigative Study on Extractive Summarization of Financial Documents||Piyush Arora and Priya Radhakrishnan||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|End-to-end Training For Financial Report Summarization||Moreno La Quatra and Luca Cagliero||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|Extractive Financial Narrative Summarisation based on DPPs||lei Li, yafei Jiang and yinan Liu||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|Extractive Summarization System for Annual Reports||Abderrahim Ait Azzi and Juyeon Kang||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|Knowledge Graph and Deep Neural Network for Extractive Text Summarization by Utilizing Triples||Amit Vhatkar, Pushpak Bhattacharyya and Kavi Arya||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|PoinT-5: Pointer Network and T-5 based Financial Narrative Summarisation||Abhishek Singh||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|SCE-SUMMARY at the FNS 2020 shared task||Marina Litvak, Natalia Vanetik and Zvi Puchinsky||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|Summarization System at FNS-2020||Jaime Baldeon Suarez, Paloma Martínez and Jose Luis Martínez||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|SUMSUM@FNS-2020 Shared Task||Siyan Zheng, Anneliese Lu and Claire Cardie||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|
|The Financial Narrative Summarisation Shared Task (FNS 2020)||Mahmoud El-Haj, Ahmed AbuRa’ed, Marina Litvak, Nikiforos Pittaras and George Giannakopoulos||FNS-Summarisation-2020-Shared-Task|