The 1st Joint Workshop on Financial Narrative Processing and MultiLing Financial Summarisation (FNP-FNS 2020)
To be held at The 28th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING’2020), Barcelona, Spain on 12 December 2020 [New Date].
We introduce 3 shared tasks as follows:
1) Financial summarisation (FNS 2020),
2) Financial Reports structure detection (FinTOC 2020),
3) Causality Identification in Financial documents (FinCausal 2020).
Important Dates [New Dates] (shared tasks may have different deadlines please check):
This is the first joint workshop between FNP and MultiLing workshops, both workshops have been running for several years with great success.
The joint workshop will focus on the use of Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), and Corpus Linguistics (CL) methods related to all aspects of financial text mining and financial narrative processing (FNP) in addition to demonstrating the value and challenges of applying summarisation to multilingual financial text, usually referred to as financial narrative disclosures.
There is a growing interest in the application of automatic and computer-aided approaches for extracting, summarising, and analysing both qualitative and quantitative financial data.
Financial narrative disclosures represent a large part of firms overall financial communications with investors. Textual commentaries help to clarify issues obscured by complex accounting methods and footnote disclosures.
In addition, narratives summarise corporate strategy, contextualise results, explain governance arrangements, describe corporate social responsibility policy, and provide forward-looking information for investors.
- Dr Mahmoud El-Haj, Lancaster University (General Chair)
- Dr Houda Bouamor, CMU, Qatar (FNP Program Chair)
- Dr Marina Litvak, Shamoon Academic College of Engineering (FNS Program Chair)
- Dr Paul Rayson, Lancaster University (FNP Program Chair)
- Dr Vasiliki Athanasakou, Saint Mary’s University (FNP-FNS Program Chair and Advisor)
- Dr George Giannakopoulos, NCSR Demokritos (FNS Program Chair)
- Dr Sira Ferradans (Publication Chair)
- Dr Dialekti Valsamou, Fortia Financial Solutions (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Dr Ismail El Maarouf, Fortia Financial Solution (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Najah-Imane Bentabet, Fortia Financial Solution (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Remi Juge, Fortia Financial Solution (FinToc Shared Task Organiser)
- Dr Catherine Salzedo, Lancaster University (FNP-FNS Publicity Chair)
- Nikiforos Pittaras, NCSR Demokritos (Publicity Chair and FNS Shared Task Organiser)
- Ahmed AbuRaed, Universitat Pompeu Fabra (FNS Shared Task Organiser)
- Dr Ans Elhag, Lancaster University (FNP-FNS Publication Chair)
- Dominique Mariko, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Hanna Abi-Akl, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Hugues de Mazancourt, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Estelle Labidurie, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
- Stephane Durfort, Yseop Lab (FinCausal Shared Task Organizer)
We invite submissions on topics that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Applying core technologies on financial narratives: morphological analysis, disambiguation, tokenization, POS tagging, named entity recognition, chunking, parsing, semantic role labelling, sentiment analysis, document quality and advanced readability metrics etc.
- Using NLP to detect misreporting in relation to diversity and wellbeing on issues related to gender, ethnicity, women at work as well as employee mental health and stability.
- Financial narratives resources: dictionaries, annotated data, tools and technologies etc.
- Given the international nature of the conference, we particularly welcome FNP papers reporting non- English and multilingual research, describing the different regulatory regimes within which companies operate internationally.
- Summarisation across domains and sources that are related to finance (e.g. company blogs, product reviews, market briefs, etc.), this includes financial multilingual and cross-lingual summarisation using single-document summarisation, multi-document summarisation, summarisation evaluation, headline generation, cross-domain/cross-topic summarisation.
Paper Submission Instructions:
Submission now open.
Submission format should follow COLING’s 2020 author kit: https://coling2020.org/pages/submission
Please follow the guidelines and use the COLING-2020 style files in coling2020.zip
It has LATEX files, Microsoft Word template file, and a sample PDF file.
Submissions must describe substantial, original, completed and unpublished work. Wherever appropriate, concrete evaluation and analysis should be included.
Submissions may consist of no less than four (4) and up to eight (8) pages of content, plus unlimited references.
The workshop supports the ACL anti-harassment policy.
- Antonio Moreno Sandoval (UAM, Spain)
- Vasiliki Athanasakou (SMU, Canada)
- Ahmed AbuRa’ed (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain),
- Nikiforos Pittaras (NCSR, Demokritos).
- Catherine Salzedo (LUMS, Lancaster University, UK)
- Denys Proux (Naver Labs, Switzerland)
- George Giannakopoulos (SKEL Lab – NCSR Demokritos, Greece)
- Haithem Afli (Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland)
- Houda Bouamor (CMU, Qatar)
- Mahmoud El-Haj (SCC, Lancaster University, UK)
- Marina Litvak (Sami Shamoon College of Engineering, Israel)
- Martin Walker (University of Manchester, UK)
- Paul Rayson (SCC, Lancaster University, UK)
- Simonetta Montemagni (Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale – ILC, Italy)
- Sira Ferradans, France
- Dialekti Valsamou (Fortia Financial Solutions, France)
- Ismail El Maarouf (Fortia Financial Solution, France)
- Steven Young (LUMS, Lancaster University, UK)
- Scott Piao (SCC, Lancaster University, UK)
- Mohan Subbiah (LUMS, Lancaster University, UK)
- Paulo Alves (Accounting, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Portugal)
- Thomas Schleicher (MBA, Manchester University)
- Ana Gisbert (Accounting, UAM, Spain)
- Ans Elhag (Lancaster University, UK)
- John M. Conroy (IDA Center for Computing Sciences, USA)
- Elena Lloret (University of Alicante, Spain)
- Vangelis Karkaletsis (NCSR Demokritos)
- Mark Last (Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel)
- Natalia Vanetik (Sami Shamoon College of Engineering, Israel)
- George Petasis (NCSR Demokritos, Greece)
- Peter Rankel (Elder Research Inc., USA)
- Remi Juge (Fortia Financial Solutions, France)
- Dominique Mariko (Yseop, France)
- Anubhav Gupta (Yseop, France)
- Hanna Abi-Akl (Yseop, France)
- Hugues de Mazancourt (Yseop, France)
- Estelle Labidurie (Yseop, France)
- Stephane Durfort(Yseop, France)