In addition to the Lancaster Summer Schools in Corpus Linguistics and regular programmes offered by the Department of Linguistics and English Language on campus in Lancaster, every year we also run a Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) in Corpus Linguistics: Method, Analysis, Interpretation. The MOOC provides a practical introduction to the methodology of corpus linguistics for researchers in social sciences and humanities as well as for practitioners across a range of fields (e.g. teachers, journalists, data scientists). The MOOC covers the following topics:
- Introduction to corpus linguistics and basic techniques: concordancing
- Further corpus techniques: collocation and keywords
- Corpus-based discourse analysis
- Building a corpus: tagging and processing data
- Sociolinguistics: analysing BNC1994 and BNC2014
- Textbook and dictionary construction
- Language learning and corpus linguistics
- Swearing extravaganza: looking at language and society
If you are not able to join us for one of our events or programmes in person in Lancaster (as may be the case this year), the MOOC offers a great opportunity to learn about corpus linguistics from the leading experts in the field.
The MOOC usually starts in Septembers and runs for eights weeks. You can find out more about the MOOC on this link. You can also use the link to register your interest in the MOOC and you will be sent an email when the dates for the next run of the MOOC are announced.