We are currently recruiting several team members including a Specialist Biochemistry Technician, which is a different type of role and can be a better fit for how some people want to contribute to the research.

Rhiannon, one of our RIPE team members and Specialist Molecular Biology Technician shares some thoughts about why this role really suits her:

‘I have been working in the Photosynthesis Team at Lancaster University for over 6 years and my current role is Specialist Molecular Biology Technician. I feel extremely lucky to be part of this diverse team of friendly and supportive scientists. This role enables me to focus on the methods and techniques, in order to plan and complete experiments in an efficient and safe manner. My strengths lie in designing and carrying out high quality, reproducible experiments and supporting post-docs and PhD students by maintaining a well-run and organised lab, and helping with the technical aspects of their research. I like to contribute to publications through writing a methods section, producing a figure or providing feedback on a draft manuscript or conference presentation, but there is less pressure in this role to lead on these outputs, which suits me really well! It’s important to me that the research I do is worthwhile and being part of the RIPE project enables me to contribute to something that aims to improve the lives of the world’s hungriest people.’