Two down, three to go

Hello to you! At the time of writing I have just started back on placement after a lovely Christmas period off. It has been my last ever one as a student. This time next year my time-off might not be as generous. Before I broke up, I had just finished my second really great rotation at the Royal Blackburn Hospital in East Lancashire. I was part of the first cohort of Lancaster medical students who undertook placements here, and I can really recommend it! The hospital itself is bigger than the hospitals I’ve been attached to in previous years. I’ve really benefited from seeing how another hospital trust works and also being exposed to a wider number of clinical conditions. I spent the first placement based within the Emergency department which, can be, one of the busiest in the entire country. I had the choice of the whole department to get involved in. It was difficult to balance my time between the Urgent Care Centre (minors), Majors (Emergency) and the resuscitation bay (severely unwell). I learnt a lot from this attachment and I got to experience the stress and pressure of the Emergency department first hand.

For my second placement I was attached to a colorectal surgical team. This was my first of two student-selected (SAMP) rotations. I chose this one because I wanted more experience in General and Colorectal surgery. I had a really enthusiastic supervisor who allowed me to scrub up in theatre, assess patients in clinics and involve me in ward rounds. I was treated with a lot of respect and was made to feel like a valid member of the team. I will miss the place.

As I start 2017, and the 2nd term of my final year, I’m excited to find out what the next few months have in store for me. There are 3 months to wait until I find out which part of the country I’ve been allocated to as part of the FPAS application process, and 7 months until I graduate. It’s scary not knowing where I’ll be as a Foundation Year 1 doctor come August. But, at least I don’t have to worry about passing my final exams!