Reflections on a FASS Internship with Deco Publique in Morecambe

Kate Howell has recently completed a Social Media and Arts Marketing Internship with Deco Publique, an art and culture company based by the sea in Morecambe. Here are her reflections on the experience:

Hello! My name is Kate Howell and I’ve been working as an intern with the Deco Publique team this summer through Lancaster University’s FASS internship programme. I have recently completed an MA in Arts Management within Lancaster Institute of Contemporary Arts (LICA), following a decision to move from working in international development to pursue my passions and work in the arts. Working with Deco Publique has been a really valuable experience as it has allowed me to develop and apply the theoretical knowledge of arts management that I have learned through my course and gain practical experience within a busy arts organisation.

The role I initially applied for was a ‘Social Media and Arts Marketing Intern’ however, Lauren and Elena have continuously adapted the role to suit my skills and interests. As well as developing content for Deco Publique’s social channels, I have researched and developed the organisation’s policies and assisted with programming a range of cultural offerings for Deco’s Summer Programme. My time with Deco Publique has flown by! Although, this is no surprise when I consider the fast-paced nature of the Deco office, where in one day you can go from creating content for social media to escorting performers along Morecambe Promenade. There are certainly no dull days in the Deco Publique office!

Deco Publique is an incredibly adaptable organisation. Despite changes to their regular cultural programme, such as Vintage by the Sea being cancelled due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, they have ensured that the local Morecambe community have had the opportunity to take part in a range of cultural experiences this summer. A key part of my internship has been supporting the Deco team with programming their ‘Summer Programme’ of street performance, music and arts workshops. I’ve really enjoyed getting stuck into various elements involved in programming the activities, from booking and liaising with artists to developing copy to advertise the events on social media– it’s definitely made me appreciate the hard work that goes on behind the scenes! The highlight of this work for me has definitely been seeing Morecambe residents and holiday makers engage with the street performers on Morecambe Promenade. Over the summer I witnessed Morecambe Promenade come alive as people of all ages, from toddlers to pensioners, laughed, danced and smiled as they walked along the promenade and experienced an unexpected performance.

I have also been fortunate to have worked from the Deco Publique office, located just across the road from Morecambe Promenade. After over a year of working and studying from home it’s been refreshing to communicate in person and work in an office environment, especially an office with a breath-taking and inspiring view! It’s been a treat to be able to have a stroll along the promenade after work, and maybe get an ice cream!

Every day is a learning day at Deco Publique. It’s an adaptable and exciting organisation to work for, and I have been able to learn so much through my internship. As a young woman, working in a female led organisation has also been inspiring – it is not only my knowledge that has grown but also my confidence. I’m really grateful for this opportunity and would urge anyone with the chance to work with the Deco team to grab it with both hands!