Meet the team: Bethan Mead

Bethan Mead: Rurban Researcher in Psychology 

Who are you?

Hello! I’m Bethan (known as Beth), a psychology researcher who’s part of the Rurban team. I’m also a tea-drinking science fan who occasionally bakes wonky-but-tasty cakes.

What research are you doing as part of the Rurban Revolution project?

I’m interested in what exposure and involvement with urban growing can mean for improving diets and wellbeing. I’m doing this through psychological studies that look at relationships between urban agriculture, food choices, connection with nature and wellbeing. I’m also looking in to barriers and opportunities for upscaling urban agriculture by interviewing growers, stakeholders and council members to try and understand how we might do this.

Are you an urban food grower or an urban greener?

I try to be an urban food grower, although I’m still learning. Since I moved house last year I’ve been trying to grow tomatoes, strawberries, blackcurrants, peppers, spinach and herbs with varying levels of success. The herbs are doing well but the tomatoes and peppers keep ending up tasting bitter. Carrots and onions are next on my list to have a go at.

If you had a magic wand, what is the one thing you would change in our current food system and why?

Inequality in food security. I know there’s issues throughout the system, but the number of people living without secure food access in 2020 is shocking. I’d love it if foodbanks weren’t needed anymore, but they’re so vital. I’d use that magic wand to make sure everyone had access to safe, healthy and sustainable food regardless of their circumstances – and preferably some of that food would come from urban growing.

What’s your favourite food?

Crumpets! Especially on frosty winter mornings.