PhD student and ECR network

Join our Literacy research network for PhD students!

We invite all PhD students and early career researchers working in literacy as a social practice to join the Literacy Research network for PhD students. This will be a space for collaborating and sharing works in progress with other PhD students in a more casual way, set up by PhD students, for PhD students and ECRs. This invitation is NOT restricted to PhD students from Lancaster University.

What is this group about? 

The main initial goals of this PhD Literacy Research network would be to:

• Engage in conversations with other PhD students in a more informal-casual way;
  • Share our own research designs, methods, and procedures of data collection, among others, to receive feedback and learn from others’ work.
  • Collaborate with each other by sharing references and readings, among others.

How to participate? 

If you are interested in joining this group, just let the organizers know by registering in this form.

If you are interested in presenting your work in progress in one of our upcoming sessions, please email us at s.montessanchez@lancaster.ac.uk

Soledad Montes Sánchez and Denise de Pauw

Please see below for details of upcoming work in progress discussions and presentations- click on the Teams link to register and receive the joining link.

N.B. regular timeslot is a Monday 4 pm- look forward to seeing you soon!

Sole and Denise

Spring 2022 schedule

We are pleased to open new work in progress discussions!

See our list of presentations + discussions below

Monday 14th February 2022

4pm (U.K. time)

Marília Camponogara Torres

Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (Brazil)

Presentation:

Negotiating voice: An ethnographic academic writing study in a postgraduate multilingual context

REGISTRATION LINK

In this talk, I will explore some of my perceptions on how students negotiate their voice in the context of a postgraduate multilingual program in Brazil. First, I will briefly discuss what I have been reading about voice through a sociocultural lens (Canagarajah & Matsumoto, 2016; Ivanic & Camps, 2001; Hyland, 2008). Second, I will present my context of investigation and the methodology that I am employing to conduct my data collection and analysis. Finally, I will discuss some of my initial findings on students’ voice while writing their master’s thesis.

Monday 14th March 2022

4pm (U.K. time)

Samia Zayed

Western University
Canada

A Comparative Case Study of the Teacher’s Role in Curriculum-Making: Teacher Agency, Relationships and Curriculum

REGISTRATION LINK

Research (Min 2019; Poullton 2020; Priestley et al., 2015; Priestley et al., 2021) indicates curricula’ positive effects and outcomes that explicitly support teacher agency in curriculum making. Recent curriculum policies in many different countries, including Scotland, Australia, and Brazil, have acknowledged teachers as agents of change (Goodson, 2003; Nieveen, 2011; Lennert da Silva and Molstad, 2020; Poulton 2020; Priestley, 2012; Priestley et al., 2015) suggesting the importance of teachers having a role in curriculum development. This teacher view comes after decades of policy de-professionalizing teachers through prescriptive curricula and standardized testing (Priestley et al., 2013). These recent moves to encourage teachers to contribute to curriculum development effectively and reform imply instituting a bottom-up curriculum approach that centers teachers in the curriculum-making process. The literature related to the ecological model of teacher agency (Priestley et al. 2015) indicates that programmatic curricula are important to supporting teacher agency and can be considered as part of a complex cluster of other individuals, social, cultural, and material dimensions that enable/disable teacher agency. Unfortunately, not all curricular policies support teacher agency.

My teaching experience in Libya, the findings of my master’s research, and my new learning experience in Canada (Ph.D. courses and seminars) have all given rise to the specific focus of my Ph.D. dissertation (teacher agency, relationships, and curriculum). These factors are also motivating me to want to initiate cross-academic cultural information exchange and appreciation. Specifically, my study seeks to understand the role of professional relationships in teachers’ agency and how these relations may or may not be impacted by the programmatic and institutional curriculum in two different contexts (Canada and Libya) using mutable data sources (interview and document analysis).

Monday 18th April 2022

4pm (U.K. time)

Jesica Franco

Universidad Veracruzana

Presentation:

Reading and Writing Conceptions in a Graduate Program in Architecture in Mexico

REGISTRATION LINK

In this talk, I will present the results of a research study carried out in a graduate program in Architecture, in a public university in Mexico. The objective of the study was to describe the conceptions that teachers and students hold in relation to academic reading and writing. In order to achieve this, I adopted a plurimethodical perspective and divided the study into two phases. In phase one, I applied a self-administered questionnaire with open-ended questions to explore the conceptions and determine key actors. In phase two, I conducted interviews with teachers and students. The results, consistent with other research, verify that conceptions are not presented as opposites in the same person, but there is a greater proportion of one or the other. Thus, those who have a greater proportion of transmissive conceptions understand that reading and writing are processes of encoding and decoding written messages, which are used to obtain or transmit information. That is, reading and writing are conceived as general tools that can be used in any context. On the contrary, those whose conceptions are mostly transactional conceive reading and writing as dialogic, creative and meaning-building processes that are used to think (analyse, question, problematize), transform one’s own thinking and form one’s own criteria.

Autumn 2021 schedule

Monday 15th

November 

4pm (U.K. time)

Ana Cortés

Syracuse University (USA)

Presentation

A life in boxes: tracing the informed consent genre inside CVD’s archive

Teams LINK

In this presentation I will share some of my findings and challenges in trying to bring archival material to life to understand the literate practices of a vaccine research center located in Santiago de Chile. This work is part of my dissertation project and looks specifically into the informed consent and how it is located and contextualized within the larger genre ecology of the research project. Through intertextual analysis, I locate the informed consent at three moments in the research project: the protocol design; the application of consent with participants; and the re-visions following the emergence of serious adverse events. What this analysis suggests is that the informed consent is not a form, but an ongoing process, distributed across multiple moments, actors, and actions, that runs throughout the whole research. This invites reflections on the nature of written genres and reinforces the importance of studying literacies ecologically.

Monday 13th  December

4pm (U.K. time)

Research Group coordinators Social meeting

Teams LINK

This meeting is a social encounter with members. We will bring a topic of discussion related to the practice of research in literacy studies. This will be a fantastic opportunity to get to know other members and make relevant contacts with those with similar research interests.

Monday 17th January 

4pm (U.K. time)

Soledad Montes

Lancaster University

Presentation

Students’ writing from an emic perspective: talking around text interviews as a methodological and theoretical option

Teams LINK

In this presentation, I will share the process of analysis of 10 “talking around text interviews” (Lillis, 2008, 2001; Ivanic, 1998) with Chilean students from schools with a high index of economic vulnerability (according to the Ministry of Education of Chile, 2021). In this analysis, I pay attention to students’ perspectives on their own writing practices and their choices of meaning-making through texts. I also look at how texts are mediated by artifacts and technologies that play a role in students’ transitions to further education. Finally, I will discuss the “talking around text” method –and the theory behind it– to reflect on the role of students’ perspectives in the study of writing.