Growing a new Rurban network in Liverpool

As we launch a new BBSRC Impact Acceleration Award supported project focused on strengthening Liverpool’s growing communities, we are thrilled to welcome Clara Steiner to the team. Learn more about Clara and the work to come below, and to get involved email Charlotte.Hardman@liverpool.ac.uk.

Who are you?

Hello, I’m Clara. This summer I graduated with a degree in BA Geography from the University of Exeter. I am particularly interested in attitude and behaviour change, food sustainability and urban futures. I have recently moved back to Liverpool and am looking forward to working with the Liverpool Food Growers Network.

How did you become interested in urban food sustainability?

Last summer I stumbled upon a TED Talk about a farm located underground in Liverpool city centre. This caught my fascination. I began volunteering at Farm Urban, helping out with harvesting, and transplanting, putting together customer boxes, and meeting an amazing group of creative and inspirational people. This inspired my final year research project which focused on the framings and future expectations of urban vertical farming in the UK media. Though this I was able to delve deeper into discussions about urban futures, environmental sustainability, food justice and urban food geographies. Furthermore, my family and I have always grown food in our garden, including apples, plums, raspberries, lettuce, rhubarb, and cherries (although the pigeons took a particular liking to those this year). Despite being a rather small garden, I spent much of my childhood observing countless bees, worms, insects, and birds that called our garden their home, exemplifying that no patch of land is too small to make a difference. Therefore, it is safe to say that over the years my general fascination in all thing’s food has grown immensely and I am delighted to be given the opportunity to explore this further.

Why is urban agriculture important to you?

I believe creating an inclusive and sustainable food system is the basis of resilient and healthy communities. As food production has become increasingly marginal and alien to the contemporary urban landscape, we must reconnect people with the food they buy and consume. Urban food production plays a vital role in constructing traceable and fairer food systems, whilst also encouraging green spaces, community development, various health benefits and sustainable land-use. Therefore, breaking down the barriers that many communities and individuals face when engaging in urban agriculture is key to producing resilient communities and food systems. According to Feeding Liverpool, it is “home to three of the ten most deprived food deserts (areas with poor access to food) in England” meaning that food security should remain at the forefront of the city’s agenda. Furthermore, urban agriculture presents a key step in encouraging healthier food choices and making ‘good’ food accessible to those who need it most. Therefore, the benefits that urban food production provides can help tackle a range of issues our cities face today.

What will your role within the Liverpool Food Growers Network be?

Over the next 6 months I will be focusing on strengthening the networks between various food growers. This will involve creating a database and mapping the multitude of urban food growing communities in Liverpool. I will also be conducting research with local food growers to better understand their needs and priorities, and how our network may be optimised to support their long-term security. Another focus of mine will be our social media so make sure to be following our pages for exciting updates and events!

What are you looking forward to the most?

I am mostly looking forward to meeting and getting to know the wide range of people interested in urban food production and exploring what this city has to offer. From underground farms and back alleyways to allotments and community gardens, Liverpool is filled with imaginative and creative food growing groups that are challenging the contemporary food system. Therefore, I am very excited to be joining the Rurban Revolution team at the University of Liverpool and to be given the opportunity to delve deeper into Liverpool’s incredible food growing community.