So much talent!

Without a doubt, the first couple of paragraphs for this week’s post must be given over to talking about the charity showcase I was involved in on Friday evening. Each year the Lancaster Ballroom Dance Society, in collaboration with LUDANS (the main dance society) and factions of ULMS (our music society) including Big Band, Big Orchestra and Choir, put on a showcase for charity. This year funds raised went towards Cancer Research, which I’m sure is an important charity for many involved. If somebody asked me to describe Friday in one word it would be awesome. Now, I don’t mean that in the conventional sense – amazing, brilliant, wonderful (even though it was all of those things too), but I mean it really was awe worthy. The amount of talent that took to that floor and to that stage was incredible. I’m so pleased and very privileged to have been a part of it. The fact that the entire thing, from the choreography, musical arrangements and conducting all the way down to the filming, sound, tech and lighting, is student led is absolutely wonderful!

They decided to do a Strictly Come Dancing take on the event this year and it was so good! It seemed that one member of the ballroom society was paired up with another student and collaborated a routine! It was so, so, so good! The winners performed a rumba and it was stunning – they had some really beautiful lifts in there, which for somebody who potentially hadn’t danced before was so impressive! There were musical interludes too, and it reminded me how much I enjoy watching live music! The Big Band were insanely good, plus they played a couple of Disney pieces: always a winner with me! In the second half we did a compilation of songs from Wicked, which was the little section I was involved in! Singing is something that really makes me smile and just being involved made me so happy; I really hope there are more concerts like that one! Working alongside these students makes me feel like I’m part of a bigger community and people really get along well too. Watching the last waltz from the balcony in the Great Hall, as the audience joined in on the floor and the music from Big Orchestra seemed to fill up the room, I just had this smiley feeling…it was just wonderful…*sigh*

Friday evening was a great way to round off a rather hectic working week! Three essays takes a lot of research, guys! However, going to speak to my seminar tutor for history put my mind at rest somewhat (okay, so I’m still panicking a little bit, but at least I know I’m panicking along the right track…). If I can offer potential students a tip, it is definitely worth going to ask questions and to talk things over – if it’s to yourself or with a tutor. I had quite a lot of thoughts whirring around in my brain and I just needed to focus them a little bit! Now armed with a focussed plan (hopefully…), copious amounts of tea and a packet of ginger nuts this weekend and next week will bring hours of essay writing. Three, two, one…GO! In a fortnight’s time, when they’re all handed in (eek!) I will probably be one of the most elated people on the planet!

After rigorous planning and navigating the online article store and library it was time for a little break, I thought. Friday afternoon here in Lancaster was beautiful, my dad would probably describe it as ‘crisp’ I decided, just for half an hour, that I would sit outside in Alexandra Square and enjoy the sunshine.  (I actually planned this week’s blog whilst I was sitting there, but it was a change from the library, my bedroom or the study zone, as lovely as those places can be for working). I swear a little bit of sunshine can make me feel so much better!

Aside from essays, (aargh!) we have been asked to choose our options for the next history module this week. There were some really interesting topics to choose from, including Satanic Witchcraft in Lancashire, (so the Pendle Witch Trials, cool huh?), the Partition of India and The Myth of the American West. I was a little bit torn, if I’m honest. Each seemed interesting and there were options there that I’d never looked at before. However, I didn’t want to go into it with my eyes closed, if that makes sense. It’s all very well reading a brief, but I wanted to make sure that I was going to enjoy the module. One of the beauties of uni is tailoring your own course and I don’t want this to be a wrong fit (do you see what I did there?!). After seeking a little bit of guidance I think I’ve chosen my top three! Fingers crossed I’ll be studying The Myth of the American West later on this term.

Right, let’s make some headway with these essays! Notes ready, laptop on, kettle boiled, biscuits open – FOCUS!

Thank you for reading – have a lovely week!

History Hugs,

Eleanor :0)