We made it!!

So, this is it! The end of Michaelmas Term – wow! It’s been an eventful 10 weeks: 4 essay deadlines, 3 new courses, 2 (maybe more) sleepless nights and countless memories with new friends! This term has been one of the biggest challenges I’ve ever taken on; it’s been like climbing a mountain – the slog was hard, but worth every moment because the view of what uni has to offer is pretty amazing from where I’m standing.

Our house has had such a beautiful Christmassy week! On Tuesday we had our Winter Ball for our college and it was honestly, as tacky as this sounds, magical! Amazingly, our college hired a couple of giant tipis for the venue this year, adorned with fairy lights, faux furs and Christmassy candles! Even though it was absolutely freezing and miserable outside, (I’m talking hail) it was so cosy because it was fitted with heaters; it was so funny to see people gathered next to the hot air! It was a really great opportunity to get glammed up – there was so much sparkle and loads of beautiful shoes! I think our house had a lovely time; a few of my flatmates have still had coursework and exams this week, but the ball was a good way to unwind for the evening and take in a little bit of the atmosphere. We were served a three course meal (fancy, I know!) and then we were treated with live music and some dancing. Our house actually met up with our Freshers Reps whilst we were there too, so we had chance to chat to them about how term was going and what we’ve all been up to – they were so lovely and were really interested in what we’d been up to. I had such a beautiful evening and it really put me in the Christmas mood. Going to my Winter Ball is something I’ll only get to experience a few times, so I’ve got my name down for next year’s occasion too!

As soon as the ball was over, I could tell that everybody was feeling a little more Christmassy! We’ve put some decorations up in our social area and everybody seems so excited at the prospect of going home – myself included! I’ve been texting my friends and my mum and dad counting the sleeps until I can see them! I’ve also been texting everybody to arrange plans; we even have a reunion at school, so I’ll get to see everyone from sixth form! YAY! As the Christmas vibe grew and grew, we were all getting ready for our Secret Santa ceremony on Thursday evening!

Speaking of which, Thursday was a hectic day! If you remember, last week I was telling you about all my to-do lists? I had a ridiculously lengthy one for this Thursday! But, I think I got there…eventually. It was House 105’s Christmas Day in the evening and I felt like I do at home: slightly panicked, but we pulled it off, I think! We had a whole feast of Christmassy activities for the evening and I think everyone has such a great time. It is evenings like this that remind why I came to uni (aside from getting my degree!); as we were sitting around our cardboard Christmas tree having devoured Christmas pizza (I will explain why we didn’t have a roast dinner in the next paragraph!) it felt like we had known each other for ages – I don’t think people could help but smile. We all opened our Secret Santa presents and then had a little jamming session, as one of our flatmates is amazing at guitar! Christmas isn’t Christmas without a bit of a sing-song!

It’s actually ‘a bit of a sing-song’ that meant we couldn’t have our Christmas dinner! It was the ULMS Christmas Concert in Lancaster’s rather stunning cathedral this week! I cannot get over the talent in this place! All the orchestras and weird and wonderful instruments and all the singers – it’s all student led (incredible!) and I think the audience enjoyed it! We sang some lovely songs in choir this term and I really enjoyed performing – it’s been a long time since I’ve had a proper sing and a cathedral is a pretty awesome place to do it, don’t you think? Some of my friends from our house even came along to support me and listen to all the festive music! They’re so great and I’m so grateful that they came – I think we kicked off our festive proceedings with a bang (and a crash of symbols!)

As term draws to a close, I have to say that I’m really looking forward to having a good rest for a few days when I go home, but I can’t wait to see everybody or go to go back to work – it’s going to be so great! However, I am looking forward to what’s to come next term! I have some pretty interesting essay titles, from what I gather – so I’ll have a good look at those (hopefully using new stationery!) Of course, I’m going to miss my housemates – but we’ve got FaceTime schedules sorted already!

So, I will finish as I began – this is it, this is the end of term! I really hope you’ve enjoyed reading the posts and that you’ve picked up some hints, or even if you’ve just enjoyed my little ramblings! Thank you so much for popping back to have a read of what I’ve been up to; I promise to return in 2015 for some more tales! I hope you all have a lovely, festive, cheery Christmas full of smiles!

See you in 2015!

Huge Christmassy History Hugs,

Eleanor :0)