‘Work Smarter, Not Harder’

The title for this week’s blog is inspired by something constantly reinforced to me by my mum and dad, my boss at work and, at the moment, everyone else too!  The idea, I guess, really comes from the tough time I had in weeks 6 and 7 – but after reflection last week it seems that this little saying will actually come in useful!

Now, as a Fresher, it’s been so easy to just stay cooped up in the comfort of our house kitchen, or wrapped up in a blanket at my desk doing work, but I’ve realised that going back to the same place to study becomes a little bit of a chore, no matter how interesting the work may be. Also, the fact that there are people around at home makes the temptation to procrastinate even stronger, making it very difficult to ‘work smarter’. Of course, it is lovely to sit at my desk – it’s my own space, but I thought I’ll spread my wings a little bit this week and scout out some new study areas. The library and the dedicated zones along the spine have become a new home from home; it’s allowed me to break down that boundary (which I can’t deny was a bit scary) between home and study time – when I’m in there, I’m set on completing my reading, or my essay plan, not breaking to get a cup of tea or popping to see if my friend’s home from badminton! To some extent, I admit that telling you guys this may be boring – but I have found that this is such a useful concept to have, especially for any potential students reading the blog. Determining that distinction between studying and socialising is so worthwhile.

The proof’s in the pudding with these claims, then! Honestly, guys, I have had some real coursework revelations this week! It’s my last assignment for the term, I think, and I hope I’m beginning to find my feet. It used to find it so difficult to agree with people when they’d say ‘you’ll get used to it’, it seemed such a cop-out. However, it’s so, so, so true! I am getting used to these things – the new way of learning, the independence, the lifestyle. Focus is the key: being focussed on what you want and being brave enough to go and get it! Walking into that study room was daunting (it really shouldn’t have been, but I’m a teenager and everything like that seems embarrassing!), starting my essay was daunting and going to ask for help was daunting – but these tiny things have been the most significant for me to be able to find my way to feeling a bit more comfortable with my work this week!

Beyond the wonderful world of studies, though, we have had a really lovely week as a house. It was one of our flatmate’s birthdays this week, so we had cake (yay!) and a party before heading out to Sugarhouse on Friday, for what turned out to be a fab evening! Even though we live together and spend time chatting to individuals in the house I really enjoyed spending the evening as a group, along with some of our neighbours. We’re starting to become a really close-knit unit now and it’s so reassuring! On Sunday we even went into town to watch the Christmas lights being switched on! The house hunt is still on too! We’ve not had any viewings this week, but we’re hopefully looking at some next week – how exciting! So, hopefully we’ll have found somewhere to live very soon! As a house, we’re also looking forward to the County College Winter Ball! The girls and I have been comparing dresses and discussing hairstyles, while the guys are getting their shirts and snazzy ties ready for the 9th of December! I’m so excited!

cake3

After last week’s reflection, I really hope I’m beginning to strike the balance between work and play. I’m still working on my coursework piece for History, but I have found time this week to chill out, bake a cake and read Harry Potter (again). So, while work comes before play, I think I am starting to be smarter about my ways of studying, leaving time for some hard-core (perhaps not as extreme as that) socialising!

Thank you for reading guys, have a lovely week! History Hugs,

Eleanor :0)