Be Brave…

I cried this fortnight, guys. As the deadlines have loomed and will continue to for the rest of this term, it would be a huge, albeit slightly reassuring, lie to tell you that I’ve had an easy ride this time around.

But, please don’t take this negatively. Sometimes we need not look into a journal or library book to be taught a lesson, but rather take the time to look at ourselves as people. Coursework is never going to be easy on the first try – I mean there’s totally different style, the expectations are new and, of course, the content is going to be challenging but even when it seems tough, it’s not impossible. I promised you in the last post that I would fill you in on how I was dealing with the coursework, so here goes… deep breath! As I sat down at my desk to tackle my work I felt like I was taking on the world, even though it was only 2 essays. I felt as if I was climbing a mountain that became steeper and steeper but became taller and taller with every new journal I found and every new book I consulted until I realised that I was lost – it was time to put down the pick-axe (well, pencil) and give up. I delved through texts, referred to my study questions and still felt trapped. This may sound over-dramatic and narrative but, essays are difficult, as I’m sure other types of study are too – but we only make our lives more difficult with the pressure we put on ourselves as students, as I said last time. In this whirl of confusion I had to call one of the only people I know who can put my mind at ease: my mum. I write this in retrospect, as a little tip for potential and current students, but the reassurance from the people you care about is invaluable – even if you take only one thing from it. The one lesson I took from my pep talk was to ‘be brave’ – there are things in this crazy world of university that will throw you, but we can face these battles by not being afraid to get stuff wrong, to take risks, or to ask the questions we think are silly. We can only let the fear of striking out keeping us from playing the game (that is one of my favourite quotations of all time and one that is certainly worth remembering).

With the kind words of my mum, alongside the fact that I was going to see her and my dad at the weekend at the front of my mind I managed to get over the mountain. I know it sounds trivial to be saying how difficult the coursework is; you are bound to hear it over and over again, but I guess to be told directly from this experience that getting worried does happen and there are ways to combat it, can be beneficial! At least I hope it is!

Coursework and stresses aside, this past fortnight has been eventful and my flatmates have made sure that I wasn’t tied to my desk all the time! With it being fireworks night, the uni put on an amazing display right outside where I live which was fantastic! I loved bonfire night so much, everybody wrapped up really warm with hats and gloves and they all looked so cosy! I think everybody had a really lovely time – it was great to take some time to chill with a toffee apple and some hot chocolate underneath the stars (and the Catherine Wheels!)

firewroks

It was also lovely to see my mum and dad – I don’t think I realised how much I’d missed them until they visited, plus, we make cake and cake always makes everything better! (New students will definitely find this out!)

So, if I’ve learnt one thing this fortnight, it would be to take on each challenge as it comes. It may be a struggle and it may cause stress or worry, but just remember that there’s always someone to talk to and there will always be cake…

Thank you for reading, guys! I apologise for the lateness, but I promise to be better for the rest of term!

History Hugs,

Eleanor :0)