The Department of Linguistics and English Language is pleased to host the 12th BAAL Language Learning and Teaching SIG at Lancaster University from 30th June to 1st July 2016. This year’s theme will be:
Crossing Boundaries: Language Learning and Teaching Inside and Outside the Classroom
Traditionally, language teaching and learning has been compartmentalised in many ways in our research, teaching methodology, materials, and perceptions. Boundaries and borders are now disappearing and language learning and teaching takes place in contexts where there are increasingly fewer walls. We can no longer clearly differentiate modern foreign language from second language teaching and learning, private and public sectors, teacher and students roles, classroom and outside classroom engagement.
This conference will encourage participants to explore the challenges and possibilities afforded by the varied settings, modes, teaching methods, roles and means of communication in current day language teaching with the merging of learning environments.
- What are the differing contributions of blended learning, computer mediated communication and face to face modes to language learning?
- What can we learn from the synergy of language learning and teaching in different settings, different linguistic contexts and at different ages?
- How can the effective use of home languages and translanguaging contribute to language teaching and learning?
- What do we know of language learners as language users, and the different contexts in which they use their languages?
- In what ways can different research perspectives and innovative methodologies provide complementary views of learning and teaching processes?
Confirmed plenary speakers:
Professor Angela Creese, University of Birmingham
Professor Neil Mercer, University of Cambridge
Professor Judit Kormos, Lancaster University
- The programme is now available.
- Conference Registration has now been closed but you can still register for the dinner through the Lancaster University Online Store.
Questions and enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Lancaster.
The conference organisers:
Judit Kormos, Marije Michel and Jenefer Philp