Headshot of Marcia Smith

Dr Marcia Tavares Smith

marcia.smith@lancaster.ac.uk

Additional links

I am a Senior Research Associate in the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University. My academic and professional backgrounds are in design, having worked in the public and private sectors for many years. I am a doctor in Digital Innovation and have a Masters in Design Management. My research interests include participatory approaches to design, such as co-design; digital innovation; HCI and sustainability; and the role of design and designers in innovation. I am also interested in textile crafts. I teach crochet and knitting and enjoy sewing for myself and friends. I was born and grew up in Brazil, but have spent most of my adult life in the UK. On my free time I enjoy going for walks in the countryside and dancing.

My role on the team

I am involved with the co-design process and workshops, with instantiating and developing the virtual labs and co-creating the tools for the sustainability framework.

Why I wanted to join the team

As a designer and researcher, I believe that tackling climate change is one of the greatest challenges of our times. I want to use my skills to help create the systems and tools to empower and enable people, organisations and governments to take action in reducing human negative impact on nature.