Headshot of Gabrielle Samuel

Dr Gabrielle Samuel

gabrielle.samuel@kcl.ac.uk

Additional links

I am a Research Fellow in the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, King’s College London, researching ethical, social and regulatory issues associated with digital (health) technologies.

In my research, I use mainly qualitative research methods – primarily drawing on documents, interviews and focus groups to better understand how stakeholders perceive the ethical, social and regulatory issues associated with digital (health) technologies. I situate my findings within ethical or sociological literature, and my work intersects narratives of responsible research and innovation and anticipatory governance. I have specific expertise related to the ethical and social issues associated with the environmental sustainability of digital (health) technologies. Outside of PARIS-DE, I’m a Senior Research Fellow at Oxford University, exploring ethical issues associated with UK Biobank. I also have expertise in research ethics, particularly around issues associated with digital health technologies.

My role on the team

I am a co-investigator of PARIS-DE, leading the development of the Digital Sustainability Framework. I particularly provide expertise in considering the ethical and social issues associated with the environmental impacts of digital technologies.

Why I wanted to join the team

I am an environmentalist at heart and, as much as possible, I’m increasingly trying to bring my interests related to this into my own work. I’m particularly interested in questions around how we can encourage research/work practices associated with digital technologies to consider environmental sustainability issues, especially given the promises often attached to digital technologies, particularly in the health sector.