About Us

Who Are We?

Lancashire Emotional Health in Schools and Colleges is commissioned and funded by Lancashire County Council to provide training and support to school and college staff on a range of topics relating to children’s mental health.

We are based at Lancaster University, and all of our training team are Clinical Psychologists. We have extensive experience of working in NHS mental health services, and working collaboratively with schools, and are professional trainers. All staff are registered with the Health and Social Care Professions Council.

What Do We Do?

Our work aims to help school and college staff to better support the emotional and mental wellbeing of children and young people.

Through training and support schools will feel more confident to both understand and manage children’s emotional health difficulties, leading to improvements in their mental health and reduced need for specialist services.

We also offer support for school leads on staff wellbeing, and deliver a comprehensive programme designed to help schools and colleges establish processes for supporting the wellbeing of staff, which includes training and facilitated peer support meetings.

Our training is delivered as a mix of online sessions (via Microsoft Teams) and face-to-face sessions held at our brand new training room in the Health Innovation One building at Lancaster University.

All our work is free of charge to schools and colleges in the LCC footprint.

Testimonials from school staff:

“I found the training materials used and sent to me were very useful and high quality. The sessions were relevant and presented in an informative, friendly yet professional manner. In my role I have found the information very useful and also useful when reporting back to agencies about certain children.”

“Following coming to your training I have made some progress in my work with children. It has helped us have the confidence to provide appropriate support where needed, and the ability to listen and communicate with them. This has a positive impact on the children I work with.”

“All staff are now more comfortable talking about mental health, and feel more able to deal with students as they have a better understanding of the reasons for their behaviour.”